Monday, May 23, 2011

Armchair BEA: Who Are You?

First off, I want to welcome everyone who has never been to the site before!  My name is Jen and for all intents and purposes, I am Red Hot Books.  All of the thoughts, opinions, reviews and rants come from me. 

So who am I? Well, I am a mom first. I have a 5 year-old boy and a 7 year-old girl. And I've been with their father, my high school sweetheart, for 20 years. (Holy crap!)  I make my living as a tv news producer in the Southeast United States. It's fun work, but it can be high-stress.  When I'm not busy being mom, wife, or employee, I spend my free time reading and reviewing. 

A love of reading.  I read very quickly, which is both a blessing and a curse.  A blessing, because time rarely limits my ability to sample new books. I get to try many authors, without a huge time commitment. It's a curse, because until I was introduced to the concept of review copies, I couldn't afford to keep up with my book habit --even with frequent trips to the library.

Let's talk books. My books of choice generally fall into two categories: paranormal and romance.  I love Urban Fantasy, like Kate Daniels, Sookie Stackhouse, and Rachel Morgan.  I love Paranormal Romance, like Immortals After Dark, Lords of the Underworld, and the Black Dagger Brotherhood.  I love Regency Romances and Highlanders.  And smut.  Let's not forget smut.

Creating a dialogue.  As much as I love reading, it's almost as rewarding to talk about the books I read.  And I don't just mean writing reviews. I love to hear what other people think.  Did the same things bother them?  Did they love the same characters?  Did it remind them of another series?    To me, comments are the hallmark of a successful blog... much more than the number of followers. 

So please, look around the site.  Leave your comments. And come back!  You can also find me on Goodreads, Amazon and Twitter!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, May 23, 2011 at 11:08:00 AM CDT , Blogger Nerissa said...

Hi Jen,

You are just as busy as I am. I love to talk about the books that I've read, it's awesome being able to share my thoughts with so many great people.

InTheNameOfBooks

 
At Monday, May 23, 2011 at 5:27:00 PM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Waves!! I love talking about books as well. I absolutely love the book blogging community. I never really had that before now.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:01:00 AM CDT , Blogger pussreboots said...

You and I sound a lot a like.

Unless I'm ill or traveling (and don't have access to the internet), I post a review each and every day. Come learn more about me and my blog.

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

Jen, you are a woman after my own heart! If you are ever in Southern Cali, let me know, we have to go grab some cocktails and talk books!
BookSavvyBabe

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 12:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger The1stdaughter said...

I know exactly what you mean about reading quickly being a blessing and a curse. Since discovering review copies my problem has been keeping up with the writing of the reviews portion because I get done with the books too quickly. So happy to "meet you"!

On behalf of the Armchair BEA organizers thanks so much for participating! We really are so happy to have you!

 
At Tuesday, May 24, 2011 at 10:25:00 AM CDT , Blogger Sarah said...

Great intro Jen! I so wish I could read faster. That would help me out a lot. lol

But yeah, it's a good thing you discovered review copies, otherwise that might get expensive! :)

~ Sarah ♥ I'm Loving Books

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home