Sunday, July 7, 2013

Review: Don't Bite the Bridesmaid

Reviewed by Shelly

Allee’s tale didn’t take any time at all for me to get into. To say that I was surprised when I turned the last page is an understatement. This story just kept getting better and better the more I read. Allee’s take on day walking vampires and their interactions in the everyday  human world is something that I’ve not read before and it was a good thing.

Cute, 20-something Alice Shepard is in desperate need of a date for her sister’s wedding and the weeklong cruise that leads up to it. Her neighbor, Noah Thorpe, agrees to be her plus-one even with Alice’s stipulation of no funny business. Noah is in need of a quick getaway and his next door neighbor offers it just in the nick of time. Are these two really as opposite as they think or will they come together before the council makes a decision to call Noah home?

There are a lot of interesting angles and side roads in this story. As the first in the series, it’s definitely piqued my curiosity and opened a lot of questions - especially around Alice’s ex and Noah’s past. There seems to be more there than meets the eye. So, as I wait for the second one in the series I’ll tell you why I liked this first story so much.

There’s no car chases or good guys or bad guys (but I suspect that Alice’s cheater ex is hiding something.) Instead, it’s a story the ups and downs of family and relationships - Alice and her family, Noah and his family and then Noah and Alice as a couple. I liked Alice quite a lot. She was a little schizo with the yes, no, maybe mindset but I understood that considering the guest list on the wedding cruise. Her relationship with Noah was well written, nice pacing, a little angsty from both of them which was nice to see from a man’s perspective. The sex between them was good and not too soon – what saved it for me was that I considered their relationship outside of the cruise.

This couple had their highs and lows but I was on their side the entire time. The way that Noah treated Alice was refreshing in that he didn’t play the alpha male vampire thing and she wasn’t the simpering heroine who’s just so happy that a vampire has taken notice of her. There’s a whole subplot about Alice’s knowledge of vampires but I’ll leave that to you to read ;-).

In the end, I look forward to more from this writer and this series.

Happy Reading folks!

Rating: B

*ARC Provided by Entangled

Click to purchase: Amazon
Don't Bite the Bridesmaid
by Tiffany Allee
Release Date: May 27, 2013
Publisher: Entangled

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 10:57:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I grabbed this one for my Nook the other day. It sounds like a fun read.

 
At Sunday, July 7, 2013 at 2:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

It's a good one! I think you'll enjoy.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home