Friday, July 5, 2013

Review: The Things I Do For You

Reviewed by Shelly

When I started reading this I was having trouble with the characters because I felt like I should already know who they were – I didn’t see a warning that this story would be more enjoyable after reading the first two books (0.5 and 1) in the series. Suffice it to say, I didn’t read those two.

25 year-old model Raina Winters wants a baby and she wants one right now, as she’s already been advised by her doctor that she’s running out of time. (This seems to be related to an earlier diagnosis of endometriosis.) Nicholas Alexander is Raina’s soon to be brother-in-law who’s been in love with Raina since first sight. Raina wants a baby, Nicholas wants Raina so he’ll give her a baby in exchange for what he wants – Raina. And if marriage is what it takes, then that’s what’s going to have to happen. It’s a familiar premise that I thought was handled well.

I got the feeling that these two had a tumultuous relationship in the prior stories (I’m not sure of that) but in this story there’s more angst and stubbornness than anything else. Nicholas is a wonderful guy. Yes, he’s known as a playboy, but he’s not interested in chasing skirts unless it’s Raina’s, of course, especially after getting his palate wet after their one night stand. His love and respect for his family was one of my favorite things about him. It’s hard to not like people who love and appreciate those around them. There’s a very touching moment when he’s visiting his parents’ home and he realizes that they’re not going to be around forever – the way he handled that was very sweet.

I’m not sure of Raina’s history and her obstinate disbelief in love. It actually took away from her character for me because there has to be a time in your life where you choose – either let others control your decisions or move past that and start living a life worth living. I thought Raina was stuck on the first. There’s a sub-story with her father that, if explored, could have done wonders for not just the story, but could have made me like Raina more than I did. Outside of Nicholas and Raina’s bedroom high jinx, there was a nice blend of them growing as a couple and (when Raina wasn’t stuck on stupid) the dialogue was well done.

Nicholas’s other brothers were well presented - Trent and Jackson have already been featured in their stories. Overall the story was a fun, short read.

Happy reading folks!

Rating: B-

*ARC provided by publisher via NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Things I Do For You
by M. Malone
Release Date: March 12, 2013
Publisher: Crushstar Romance

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home