Sunday, June 30, 2013

Review: Lick

Reviewed by Janell
 
Holy cow, you guys. This book. This is the book. Grade: A

Oh, you want more? Fine. Evelyn spends her 21st birthday in Las Vegas, planning to get drunk and have sex. Instead, she gets very, very drunk and marries a rock star. She wakes up in her hotel bathroom with a giant diamond ring on her finger and a hot shirtless guy watching her. With no memories of the night before, she freaks out, vomits, and makes her new husband angry enough that he storms out, planning to annul the marriage.

This story works because of the characters. It’s narrated by Evelyn, and she is not stupid. She knows that getting married at 21 is a bad idea and would interfere with her career plans. She’s also observant, self-aware, brave, and self-deprecating (“If I were him, I’d divorce me and never look back.” “Marriage sucked and husbands were the worst.” “How horrible, being forced to live in the lap of luxury with my wonderful husband. Poor me. I needed a good slap.”).

David, the wonderful husband in question, is not the typical tortured, angsty, alpha male. He has issues, but no big tragedy that he wallows in. He’s not overbearing and controlling. He will punch a guy who touches his woman, but he’ll also listen to his woman explain the touching without going all rage Neanderthal on her. He has a temper, but he also likes to cuddle. He is awesome.

I was so pleasantly surprised by all of the conversations Evelyn and David had. They honestly wanted to figure out a way to make their crazy relationship work. There were no big secrets or silly misunderstandings. Evelyn even knows that withholding information is lying, and that, “if [she] had to demand his faith and affection, it didn’t mean a damn thing.” She’s so opposite of the too-stupid-to-live heroine that it makes me giddy.

Of course they have hot sex all over the place. It takes a little while to happen but then makes up for the delay. Of course they run into some bumps and break up. The fallout is realistic, the make-up is fantasy. I know, the whole plot is fantasy, but the way it’s written made it seem so believable.

I could go on and on, but I don’t want to ruin the experience for you. Just go. Read it. Go on now.

Rating: A

*ARC Provided by Momentum

Click to purchase: Amazon
Lick
by Kylie Scott
Release Date: July 1, 2013
Publisher: Momentum

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sunday, June 30, 2013 at 7:26:00 PM CDT , Blogger Anna (herding cats-burning soup) said...

Oh how fun! I love when an author can take a fairly "yeah that's gonna happen" plot and really make it work and seem real. I get a little giddy with heroes and heroines like them too that aren't the typical either tstl or over the top alphas.

Looking forward to checking it out :)

~Anna
herding cats & burning soup

 
At Thursday, July 4, 2013 at 11:52:00 AM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

Well, well, well - you've totally convinced me that I should pick this little goodie up :-) thanks for the wonderful review!

 
At Friday, July 5, 2013 at 10:47:00 AM CDT , Blogger JenM said...

I'm in the middle of it right now. I couldn't resist all of the good reviews. I really love Evelyn. It's so refreshing to have a NA heroine who actually makes reasoned and good choices, and who isn't burdened by some awful tragedy in her past.

 
At Friday, July 5, 2013 at 1:04:00 PM CDT , Blogger Janell said...

Right? Now I feel like making a snarky NA checklist:
Tragic past Y/N
tstl Y/N
Alpha male Y/N
Even more tragedy Y/N
Carnival scene Y/N

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home