Monday, March 25, 2013

Review: Deadly Sting

Reviewed by Jen
 
I still love you, Jennifer Estep.  And I still love the Elemental Assassin series.  But Owen... I feel like my longstanding and overwhelming love for Owen Grayson has suffered irreparable damage with this book. Which makes me both a little bit angry --and sad.

The following will contain spoilers for anyone who has not already read Widow's Web.

As the story begins, Owen and Gin are still apart, as he deals with the fact that she killed his ex-fiance.  Nevermind the fact that Selina tried to kill his sister. Nevermind the fact that she was going to kill Gin and was obsessed with the idea of getting him back.  Oh yeah --and let's not forget her big evil plan to kill all those folks with her big revenge plot.  But still, he's off "thinking about things." For three months now.  Gin is hurting (which I hate) but she is trying to soldier on.

Finn gets the bright idea to drag Gin to a huge party to showcase all of Mab Monroe's treasures at an art museum.  He even talks her into getting a fancy new dress. But nothing is ever simple for Gin.  First of all, Owen is there. With a date.  Then the party turns into a huge hold-up as a group of giants plot to steal Mab's fortune for themselves.  And Gin must find a way to take them all down before any harm comes to her loved ones who have been taken hostage.  Kind of like Die Hard. In a red dress.

As always, the action was great. I love that Jennifer Estep is always coming up with new ways for Gin to kill people.   While many of the last books focused on her ice magic, this book was more focused on the stone.  There were tons of cool fight sequences and big stuff with Jonah MacAllister.  Plus --a great setup for where the series is likely headed next.

If you're anything like me, however, what you really care about is what's happening with Owen.  Sadly, this was the only part of the story that I didn't enjoy.  Owen was one of my favorite characters in a series filled with amazing characters. He came around on the heels of weenie-toad Donovan Caine, who made Gin feel damaged and unworthy --and he loved her for who she is.  He accepted her. And now, HE is making Gin feel small. And alone.  He is indecisive. He is a wuss.  And a stupid-head.  And honestly, no matter what happens in future books, I question whether I can ever see him the same way again.  Scratch that.  I know I can't.... which really stinks.

Where do they end up?  You'll have to read the book, of course.  I will tell you, though, that it is not a fun ride.  At least, it wasn't for me.

This all leaves me with mixed feelings at the end of the book.  The parts that weren't about Owen were everything I have come to love about the series.  I liked the plot, the villain, and the growing overall arc.  But the romance.... fail.

*ARC Provided by Pocket Books


Click to purchase: Amazon
Deadly Sting
by Jennifer Estep
Release Date: March 26, 2013
Publisher: Pocket Books

Labels: , , , ,

8 Comments:

At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 11:59:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Sounds like I'm going to have to read Widow's Web!

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 2:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

"weenie-toad" LOL. That's to nice.

Yeah Owen failed in this one. If he doesn't get his act together in the next one, I want a new love interest. There I said it.

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 5:05:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Owen is most definitely being a stupid-head. Reading other peeps reviews about this book makes me mad at him all over again!

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:45:00 PM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

This review made me smile. I haven't read the series; I have no idea who these characters are, but this:

"If you're anything like me, however, what you really care about is what's happening with Owen."

I *am* like you! WTF is wrong with Owen? Sounds like the author doesn't know how to keep stretching the romantic conflict. Either give them an ongoing HEA or end the series. This is why I don't read UF. You make me kind of curious, though ;-)

Damn you, Owen!

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You must! (Though the end is rough.)

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Just reading my own review makes me mad again. I read this book ages ago, but my angst remains just as strong!

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I love you, Brie.

 
At Monday, March 25, 2013 at 6:56:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kaetrin said...

I don't like it when guys are stupid-heads. :(

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home