Saturday, March 23, 2013

Review: Permanent Marker

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Although this is a series with recurring characters, I paid no heed and didn’t read them in order, I read #2 after reading #3. To the author’s credit, the stories were written with story lines that, even though connected, could be read independently. Not my usual genre of choice (a bit heavy for me,) I appreciate the writing style of Angel Payne. She is believable at giving the point of view from both the newbie and the experienced; at least that’s the way it seems to me. (I’m thinking the book’s dedication has something to do with this.)

Do-gooder Rosalind Fabian wants to create a better world. One way she wants to do that is by going on a feel-good-about-you company sponsored trip over to the Middle East. But before she goes, she must attend a corporate training meeting on the isle of Nassau. When I read that it was a destination based story, I was sure that I would hear all those flowery words to describe the scenery. Thank goodness, absolutely no flowery words were used – at least in reference to that.

Consultant and former military Mark Moore is the teacher for this training. He’s also an ex-Senator (by choice) and from some small inferences I gather he can be a bit of a tool. Mark is also a widower. He’s got a lot going on doesn’t he? He and his dead wife were both in the BDSM lifestyle; he misses both the relationship and the routine that established itself with the practices and routines of the lifestyle. Once he sees Rose, things start perking up in his world.

Can an experienced Dom ‘cure’ a newbie sub’s painful past while finding their own brand of happiness? I had my doubts.

Rose is a veritable hot mess - full of insecurities and constant self-degradation. She’s got a family that proves that money doesn’t buy happiness or love – actually they’re about as mean spirited as you can get, especially that brother of hers. But I digress. I’m still not sure that I like Rose. From her past experiences both in and outside of her family, I didn’t see the kind of sub that Mark wanted in her. I know I was told that she’s submissive, but I just didn’t feel her need to ‘serve’ her Dom. The other thing I had trouble with was Rose’s idea that she was ‘trouble’ and has no ability to control her actions. She’s 31 years old. When do you stop listening to other people and go life your own life?

What can I tell you about Mark other than he was a Dom? Not a lot, to be truthful. He was a complete alpha – but the kind I don’t really care for. The progression of the relationship between Rose and Mark happened quickly; he even recognized that it was speedy. This was another troubling part of me – you’re telling me that this is speedy, you’ve got a woman who’s never subbed before – i.e. doesn’t know the rules or the protocol – with just those two things Mark still treated her physically like she’s got experience? I had trouble with that.

The sex between them was hot, heavy and frequent of course, a lot of it from Mark’s angle. Unfortunately, the ending seemed a bit rushed to me and the I love you flowed pretty early in the relationship. It might seem like I didn’t like this story but that isn’t it – I think that Payne’s writing is actually quite brilliant. For me, this story would be so much more if it was flushed out and paced a bit more evenly.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: C

*Book provided by publisher 

Click to purchase: Amazon
Permanent Marker
by Angel Payne
Release Date: November 12, 2012
Publisher: Loose ID
 

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 11:25:00 AM CDT , Blogger Lover Of Romance said...

Nice Review! I don't think this is my type of read though. I do hate it when the ending is rushed --that is usually the best part right? Hope your next read is a lot more enjoyable!!Have a great weekend!

 
At Saturday, March 23, 2013 at 12:43:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

Thanks LoR. The writing was a bit out of my norm too but hey ya gotta step out once in a while huh...ditto on the weekend wishes!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home