Saturday, July 28, 2012

Review: A Scandalous Affair


Reviewed by Jen
 
Daphne is a widow, enjoying the freedom that her new life has to offer, when at a masquerade ball, a man catches her eye.  She boldly asks him to dance, not even knowing who he is.  She is so taken with him, she makes it her mission to figure out his identity in order to pursue more time in his company.

Camden is a man who is very shy and works to hide his terrible stutter from the ton. He can't believe that Daphne is interested in him and he is quite enamored of her as well.  But just because the attraction is there, doesn't mean the shyness completely goes away. Daphne must be bold and relentless in order to get them where they both want to be.

I like heroes with problems.  I enjoy watching them learn their own value through the eyes of their heroine and this does, indeed, happen here.  The romance is sweet and I was satisfied with the sexy time. My only concern is that Camden's stutter makes very little of an appearance in the book.  He says his comfort with Daphne makes it easier to speak, but that was tough for me to buy, especially since he was so crazy about her.  I think I would have like to see him struggle more with the stutter on page and in front of Daphne to give it more impact.  I also thought the love happened kind of fast.

But I enjoyed it for the most part. I like Karen Erickson's writing and I like the premise of the Merry Widows books.  It's cool to have Historical Romance heroines who are not virgins and who are willing to reach and grab what they want.

Rating: B-

*ARC Provided by NetGalley


Click to purchase: Amazon
A Scandalous Affair
by Karen Erickson
Release Date: July 30, 2012
Publisher: Carina Press

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home