Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: Donor

Reviewed by Shelly

This was a solid first story in the Dresdan Coven series and I’m a little mad at myself it was in my TBR so long. As a former member of District 5, Elaina’s role as a tracker of the Dresdan led her to Vicq. As a vamp creation of the master vampire Russo, Vicq is not your ordinary Dresdan. He has some special skills that he uses to woo and protect Elaina. After he was exiled from Russo’s coven for his affiliation with Elaina, Vicq has left Elaina alone long enough. He’s finally ready to make her his – permanently. Can this human and vampire find their own HEA? I hope so.

I was completely shocked and impressed that I liked this short story as much as I did. Kirk did a very good job of building the world where these characters live, because it’s certainly not like any I’ve read before. I admit that I love vampire stories and their paranormal world as much as the next person, but it wasn’t the vamps that really got my attention, it was District 5. What are those people doing? I can’t wait to find out what the real story is. Elaina thinks she knows what it is but I’m hoping it’s not as elementary as she seems to think. Kirk, please bring on the tomfoolery and shenanigans because it makes for an interesting read when it’s not the obvious.

Back to Elaina, she’s a very likable character and no whimpering female when it comes to holding her own. This chick can kick a vamp's butt then go out for a meal. How cool is that? I’m hoping there’s going to more about her history once the series continues, because I’m looking for the underlying reason she fell in love with Vicq. Yes, he has the ability to ‘glamour’ – that might be a True Blood term, but I don’t know else to call it –which he did when they initially met, but I’m hoping that’s there’s something more to their love.

Vicq --- oh my my, that’s one hot specimen of vampiliciousness. He’s got a thing for Elaina and nothing will get in his way, not even his creator. And the chemistry between the two was hot and heavy. Like Elaina’s motivation and background, I hope there’s more about him in the future installments.

The other members of Vicq’s newly formed coven are very loyal to their leader and have their own interesting quirks that made for good story telling. Other than the epilogue and a few spelling errors that made me reread a few sentences, this was a good story.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: B-

*Book provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Donor
by Ambrielle Kirk
Original Release Date: February 24, 2011
Re-Release Date: April 28, 2013

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home