Friday, July 12, 2013

Review: The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters

Reviewed by Jen
 
What a great introduction to the world of Secret McQueen!  It's full of action, violence, and just a hint of romance -- perfect for a novella.  And it managed to give me a taste for the series, without any big info dumps or backstory.

Secret is part-vamp, part-werewolf, and all ass-kicking bounty hunter. She works for the vampire council, dispatching rouge vamps who need to be put down.  Her job and her supernatural side have made it difficult to hold down a relationship, but her friend Mercedes is diligently trying to change that. As the story begins, Secret is getting ready for a blind-date, set up by her friend.

Unfortunately, at the same time, the council has a job for her. She needs to take out a high-profile vamp who happens to be a very famous actor.  Secret actually likes her blind-date, Tyler, but the council doesn't really take no for an answer. So she tries to knock out both in the same night.

I liked Secret. She is tough and good at her job, but her date with Tyler shows how she still longs for love.  Her handler, Holden, is sexy and mysterious. I am very intrigued there. But I also hope we see more of Tyler in the future as well!

My only small gripe is that it didn't make sense to me for Secret not to reschedule her date. If she really wanted a chance with Tyler, trying to work an assassination into the evening was clearly a recipe for failure.  Forcing them to remain on the date felt like a tenuous plot device.  But like I said, small gripe.  I liked the story quite a bit and I am excited to continue on with the series.

Rating: B

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Secret Guide to Dating Monsters
by Sierra Dean
Release Date: July 19, 2011
Publisher: Samhain

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Friday, July 12, 2013 at 12:04:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I love this series all but one character. The douche bag. He had potental to be hot but just didn't make it.

 
At Friday, July 12, 2013 at 12:09:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Does ANYONE like Lucas? I mean, really.

 
At Saturday, July 13, 2013 at 3:29:00 AM CDT , Blogger BookaholicCat said...

I used to like him, I was Team Lucas until Keeping Secret.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home