Monday, June 24, 2013

Review: Stalking the Others

Reviewed by Jen

Well, I'll give you this. Jess Haines knows how to go for a big ending. Wow.

This installment of H&W Investigations picks up right where the last one left off.  Shiarra is out for blood. Chaz and his pack nearly destroyed her in the last book. She is livid over his betrayal and terrified that she may be turning were.  So she decides to take matters into her own hands and seek revenge.

Unfortunately, the Sunchasers don't make it easy for her. They go into hiding at the same time she knows she is a walking target. She can't stay home; she won't stay under Royce's thumb, so she goes to find sanctuary and back-up with the White Hats.  Just like we got an intimate look at the weres in the last book, here we are getting even deeper with the renegade humans here, especially Jack.

But the real meat of the story was inside Shiarra head.  One of the things I have consistently liked about these books is Shia's voice. I have always found her easy to relate to; I could always understand her thoughts and motivations.  Here... not so much.  She really goes off the deep end. I found myself questioning her bloodlust and her need for vengeance which seemed totally out of proportion and, honestly, out of character.  I mean, yeah, Chaz is a dick. He deserved to be dumped --humiliated, even-- but does he deserve to die for being a cheater?  It was a tough read at times to see Shiarra fall so far.

But Haines has a plan.  I won't tell you what it is, but I will say I started to suspect about 40 pages before it was revealed.  It was enough to make me feel a little smart, but also a little dumb for not figuring it out sooner.  I still hate Chaz.  And Royce... well... I have mixed feelings there.  He is sexy to be sure. And I believe he feels something for Shiarra.  But I don't know what. I don't entirely trust him, and his power over Shiarra makes me nervous.

All in all, I'd say the book is a pretty good ride.  Kind of a roller coaster.  I'm still kind of high on the ending. But I am scared to pick of up the next book. It's called FORSAKEN By the Others. Who is going to betray her next? I don't know if my heart can take it.

Rating: B+

P.S. Huge improvement on the cover!

*Book provided by author

Click to purchase: Amazon
Stalking the Others
by Jess Haines
Release Date: July 3, 2012
Publisher: Kensington

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home