Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Review: Tart

Reviewed by Allison
 
Juliet Lamprey is the owner of the hottest bakery in town, Tart. Since she's joined forces with her best friends to include a catering business and art gallery, she's busier than ever. But that doesn't mean she doesn't get lonely. She's been in love with her best friend Cal Whaley for what seems like a lifetime (he was her first kiss at 14,) but he refuses to act on what they have for fear of ruining their relationship. So, when sexy cowboy Gideon Carter moves back into town, she not only lets the sparks fly, she encourages them. They quickly fall into each other's lives and in love...much to Cal's dismay.

He realizes he missed the boat on any chance he might have had with Juliet, but decides to try to convince her anyway. He catches her one night out behind Tart after closing up...and kisses her. She tries to stop it, but it's the moment she's been waiting for her entire adult life - and it's as wonderfully amazing as she thought it would be! Except, she has a boyfriend.

Ever the honest girlfriend, she yells at Cal for his shitty timing and insists that she tell Gideon that night. Cal insists on coming along (since it's his fault and everything) and everyone is ready for the argument of the century when she confesses...until Gideon suggests something neither of them considered. He doesn't want to lose her, but he knows how long and how much Juliet has wanted Cal so he doesn't want her to be unhappy. He and Cal have both been with men (convenient, eh?) and have known each other practically all their lives, so why not simply share Juliet? An intriguing proposition indeed!

I know not everyone is a PM fan, but I love them. I love the intricacies of dealing with everyone's emotions, I feel like it would make you more emotionally aware. One one hand, it'd be twice the exasperation with the male persuasion, but wouldn't double the affection be worth it? I like that she had Gillian's sister-in-law, Erin, (I really need to read the Brown siblings series now!) to talk to about the societal views of their situations because everyone other one I've read, there was no support network. I loved that they were so accepted in their circle of friends, even if their family (hers was the WORST) didn't see it the same way.

I have to say, as far as attitudes about their arrangement went, Gideon's grandfather stole the show:

"I'm an old man, Calvin, I don't bother to beat around the bush. I don't much care for judging what people get up to in the bedroom, long as everyone there is on board. But I can see your heart. You wear it on your sleeve. You love my grandson and he loves you right back. And her too. So what difference does it make to me that there's three of you instead of two? Or that two of you have the same equipment? I'm going to die soon enough; I don't need to carry anyone else's choices. I just need to love my family. If you were bad for him, I'd show you just how well I can still throw a punch to the face. But you're all right. For a lawyer."

I really didn't enjoy the changing POV within the same paragraph as it annoys the crap out of me, but I was grateful to be given bird's eye view of each character as they dealt with their unique situation. The story was a solid one and I will definitely be continuing with this sizzling yet romantic series!

Rating: B+

Click to purchase: Amazon
Tart
by Lauren Dane
Release Date: November 6, 2012
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home