Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Review: Unravel Me


Reviewed by Shelly
 
This is the first Kendall Ryan story that I’ve read. I gotta say that I’m completely and totally impressed with her debut storytelling. Unravel Me is a good, solid story of loss, lust, and love. One fateful day, psychology student Ashlyn Drake receives a call from her mentor about what could possibly be the perfect subject matter for her thesis on dissociative amnesia. The caveat - the subject is in the hospital and accused of murder after being found at a bloody crime scene.

Not expecting to, I found Ashlyn to be a very likable character. Growing up poor without a mother, she’s from a working class family and has set out to prove a point – she’ll do whatever’s necessary to show that she can rise from her beginnings. In spite of her youth (mid-twenties) she’s neither stupid nor desperate and was really very level headed which I found very refreshing. There’s nothing I hate more than the temperaments and immaturity of the typical college student. But I digress.

I was a little (well – maybe a lot) skeptical about Logan’s interactions with Ashlyn. He had a physical presence that was well captured by Ryan. With that and his plain ole manliness, as well as his physical and verbal affections for Ashlyn, he eventually won me over - oh boy, did he ever! One of Logan’s attributes is his… how do I say this tactfully… his large endowment and he’s definitely not ashamed of it. I don’t mean that he’s crass, just that he’s mindful of how to wield that weapon of mass destruction quite well – if you know what I mean.

I really liked these two together; I thought the chemistry was sizzling and well written without coming across as either vulgar or unbelievable. I thought for being an expert in her field, Ashlyn could have been a bit more supportive of Logan’s need to remember his life. There were moments where I thought her heart overrode what was best for Logan, but they didn’t take away from her (or his for that matter) likability.

I would have liked to know more about Logan. He’s such a yummy character, I would have liked to know what really made him tick. What drive his ‘alpha-ness’ per se? Where did he come from? You know, the kind of stuff that makes you just go hmmmm.

Ashlyn’s best friend was a complete and total hoot, crazy as a loon but I think she’s the smartest one in the bunch – absolutely deserving of her own story (Ryan – this is me submitting my vote, just in case you’re counting).

Last, for those of you who might be curious if these two burn up the pages, heck yeah they do. All I’m saying is bring a glass of water with you because Logan’s got some …kinks… that are memorable.

Happy Reading folks!

Rating: B

*ARC provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Unravel Me
by Kendall Ryan
Release Date: September 22, 2012

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, November 24, 2012 at 2:50:00 PM CST , Blogger Allison said...

Shelly, what an intriguing topic! Once Logan & Ashlyn met, did she continue her project? Did you end up learning anything about dissociative amnesia? I love it when a book is well researched!

 
At Sunday, November 25, 2012 at 8:20:00 PM CST , Blogger Shelly said...

She did continue with the research but it wasn't really talked about. That part fell way in the background while the relationship took front and center stage.

Nope, didn't learn a thing about this type of diagnosis - I think it was just used as an interesting angle/take to get two people to meet.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home