Monday, October 1, 2012

Review: Reflected in You

Reviewed by Jen
 
This book really put me through the wringer.  It made me hot. It made me angry... and sad. Hopeful. Emotional. Confused. Frustrated. And I mentioned hot, right?  After I finished the story, I jumped on Twitter in need of social-media therapy and someone asked me if I liked it.  I found that question hard to answer, because it wasn't as simple as that.  There were parts that were hard to like because they hurt.  But I can say without hesitation that I was completely engrossed.  I sat down, started reading, and didn't stop until it was over.  I couldn't stop.  I had to see how it would all play out.

So what happens?  It seems like a lot and not very much at the same time.  The book picks up the day after the events of Bared to You.  Eva and Gideon are trying to make their obsessive relationship work, but they face all the same stumbling blocks: their individual histories of abuse, Gideon's secrets, his jealousy & possessiveness, and Eva's epic insecurities. 

The sex is, simply put, amazing.  It manages to hit just the right notes for me - dirty but not gratuitous; a little d/s without being BDSM; frequent without being repetitious.  The fact that Sylvia Day does such a good job with this is incredibly important, since the sex is such a huge part of interaction between Gideon and Eva.  The other part --the part that involves their hearts and minds-- is much messier.

It would be easy to say that Gideon is the screwed up one here. After all, he basically stalks Eva... tries to control every aspect of her life.  He makes choices that hurt her. He doesn't communicate.  But the thing is -- she takes it.  She stays with him; she craves him; she welcomes his sexual overtures like an eager puppy whose master has been away for a week. All this, even as he wounds her with his behavior and his secrets. It was very hard to read at times, as each of them made destructive decisions and impetuous choices.  With Eva's first person narrative, I hurt when she hurt.  Yet even with insights into her thoughts and feelings, I just couldn't understand how she held on for so long.  Even more confusing and disturbing, though, were Gideon's actions, especially in the second half.

I didn't like many of the things they did, but it was all in keeping with how damaged these two people are.  They are at sea --and grasp at each other like life preservers.  Even through all the dysfunction, though, I couldn't look away. I had to know where it would all lead.

I said at the beginning that a lot happens --and by that I mean, we finally learn what happened to Gideon in his youth.  Something big happens with Cary.  Something even bigger happens with a pivotal person from Eva's past.  Oh yeah, and my heart broke.  But I also said it seems like not very much happens at the same time.  That's because despite all they go through, I don't know if Eva and Gideon end up in a much better place than they started.

The ending is a pretty big deal. I don't think I would call it a cliffhanger, but I think it's the beginning of the end of Eva and Gideon's journey.  A journey I will, no doubt, see through until the last page of the last book.

Rating: B+

*ARC Provided by Penguin

Click to purchase: Amazon
Reflected in You
by Sylvia Day
Release Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Penguin Group USA

Labels: , , ,

11 Comments:

At Monday, October 1, 2012 at 11:15:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Yes!! Now I'm looking forward to this book, I liked Bared to You, but I wasn't totally crazy about Gideon, I wanted to now more about him, and it looks like we get to do it here. I'm a little scare, I guess I better prepare myself for an emotional ride.
Thanks!

 
At Monday, October 1, 2012 at 12:06:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I think it's right to be a little apprehensive. But if you liked Bared to You, I really think you'll like this one too.

 
At Monday, October 1, 2012 at 12:16:00 PM CDT , Blogger Mandi said...

I really liked this one. And I loved the end. Glad she went there. Can't wait for them to have some peace now! (I hope! LOL)

 
At Monday, October 1, 2012 at 12:22:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I needed that ending after what Gideon put Eva through in the 2nd half of the book. I am really interested to see what, if any, repercussions there will be in book 3.

 
At Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 12:46:00 AM CDT , Blogger Addictive Passions said...

I only read the first paragraph because I have yet to read it. But I feel you on the emotional part..at least from the first book, and somehow I just knew the emotions would continue throughout the series.

 
At Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 1:58:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

excellent review! The only thing I don't know that I agree with is your take on the ending, I don't know that it's the beginning of the end... I think it remains to be seen. I think that Gideon has some work to do, but, well, I'm hopeful! I have to be! This book wrecked me, but I loved it, absolutely loved it. Book Savvy Babe

 
At Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 8:48:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Come back and let me know what you think after you read!

 
At Tuesday, October 2, 2012 at 8:49:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Ah, I just meant that it's setting the stage well for their last book.

(I'm hopeful too!)

 
At Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 10:07:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Karen said...

I saw a tweet from Sylvia day that there is a possibility for a 4th book. Of course, we don't know how the 3rd book ends yet.

First of all, I loved Bared to You. My first reaction to Reflected in You was that there was too many ups and downs in their relationship to the point that it was stressful to read. But now that I think about it, maybe that's what makes their relationship more real and less fantasy. It felt like real people with real problems. I can't wait for book 3, praying it has a happy ending.

 
At Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 10:12:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Really?? I had not heard that. Very interesting!

 
At Thursday, October 4, 2012 at 10:21:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Karen said...

Someone tweeted her if there was any chance there would be 4 books instead of 3 and her response was yes. It is not written but she is not ruling it out. I'm very curious how book 3 will end.....Dec. 31 is a long wait!












14hSylvia Day ~ Author‏@SylDay

@lisakane5 yes, there's a chance :)



 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home