Thursday, October 11, 2012

Review: Dark Storm

Reviewed by Jen
 
Alas, I may be coming to the end of my time with the Carpathian series.  For so long, it has been my guilty pleasure.  After all, you can't get all that white lightning, feminine sheaths or velvet over steel just anywhere.  In these books, you are guaranteed to find the most alpha of the alpha-males and the most flowery euphemisms for sex, along with a familiar and predictable tone that's like slipping on an old pair of shoes that you've had forever.

Unfortunately, I think these shoes are getting too old to remain comfortable.  The last book in the series was a tough read, because the hero was an enormous asshat to his heroine. He was downright mean to her at times --and who wants to read that?  Here, Feehan takes us in the complete opposite direction, with a hero who is simply too good to be true.  But I'll get to that in a minute.

Let me set up the story.  Riley is a descendant of a Carpathian woman named Arabejila. Every five years, Riley and her mother venture to a volcano in the Andes to perform a ritual began by Arabejila centuries ago.  Riley has grown up hearing stories about her ancestor locking a great evil inside.  Of course, she thinks it's all an old legend.  But the stories are true.  Arabejila trapped her lifemate Mitro because he has become vampire and she thought nothing else would hold him.

Mitro isn't inside the volcano alone.  An ancient hunter named Dax is in there with him. The two are so evenly matched that neither has managed to kill the other in all this time.  But Arabejila's bloodline has started growing weak and Mitro is about to break out.  Using his powerful influence, he lays trap after trap for Riley's mother before she can strengthen his bindings and eventually, both he and Dax are freed.

Riley gets a crash course on Carpathians and vampires as she learns her own power of an affinity with the earth. She and Dax are lifemates, so they must work together to vanquish Mitro before his great, evil plans are realized.

There's a dragon involved. A fertility flower. Gary Jansen. Jubal (remember Joie's brother from Dark Descent?) A De La Cruz and his lifemate... but no big ties to our core Carpathian families. Unless you count Mitro. He is a Daratrazanoff, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how he is related to Gregori, Lucan or Gabriel.  Which bothered me greatly.

Also bothering me greatly... it takes forever for the hero and the heroine to so much as lay eyes on each other. The first half of the book was painfully slow.  Frankly, the book was boring.  As angry as the last book made me at times, with this one, it was an effort to just keep turning the page.  The relationship had no conflict.  Dax is too perfect. Patient. Strong. Caring. Sensual. Blah, blah, blah.  And Riley loves him right away. No fear. No lies.  No hesitation.  No fire.

I kept waiting to care, but I never did.  The relationship was too easy.  The external conflict was exactly the same as in every other Carpathian book.  The only emotion I was left with was annoyance that I squandered $12.99 for the ebook.  If you're on the fence about this one, I advise you to pass... or if you absolutely must read it, rent it from the library.

Velvet count: 10

Rating: D+


Click to purchase: Amazon
Dark Storm
by Christine Feehan
Release Date: October 2, 2012
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , ,

15 Comments:

At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 9:33:00 AM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmm, this one sounds disappointing but I hear the earlier books are good. Maybe this is a series I should borrow.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 9:55:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I enjoyed the early ones, but you have take them with a grain of salt. The flowery language is... entertaining. But obviously, there is something I liked about them because I have read all 23.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:02:00 AM CDT , Blogger Danni T said...

That sucks. I've been hoping they would get better. I loved these books. I've reread Lucian and Jaxon's book over and over again. I didn't finish Dark Predator(I thought about trying it again)because Zacharias was such a jerk and most the time I wanted to stab him.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:49:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I usually grab these ones from the library- it's pretty standard that it will eventually be available there, and well.. I can't buy ALL my books.... think this series needs a refresher book, or an ending... Book Savvy Babe

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:51:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

He really was horrible. I'd just write that one off.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 10:52:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

What she needs to do is get back to the Carpathian families people are already invested in. And do that damn Skylar/ Dmitri story before I am old enough to be a grandma.

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 1:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Penny Watson said...

Oh no! Big-time bummer. CF is no longer a sure-thing for me anymore. I wait until I check out some reviews before I splurge on the books. Just picking and choosing the best ones now.

:^(

Still a huge fan of the early Dark series books, though!

 
At Thursday, October 11, 2012 at 2:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Diane said...

I'm almost finished the book now and yes lately I have not been satisfied with the books. I'll probably be skipping the next one.

 
At Friday, October 12, 2012 at 8:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

LOL, I love the "velvet count". Can't say I've ever been driven to start this series & I think I'm glad that I haven't, I hate being disappointed.

 
At Friday, October 12, 2012 at 7:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

Me and asshats have zero love...BTW - $12.99 for an ebook???

 
At Friday, October 12, 2012 at 7:16:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Crazy, right? Not worth it at all.

 
At Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 5:49:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber Daulton said...

I love the Carpathian books but I haven't read the last 3, including this new one. I've heard elsewhere that Domincic is a pretty decent guy and great to Solange but Zac is an asshat to Marguritte as everyone else has been saying. And now Dax is perfect?!? Errrr.... I've been disappointed with these books since the one after D Celebration (one of my favs)! But I'm a collector so I'll be getting this new book once it become really cheap. I have all the others looking really pretty on a shelf. Usually, after Christmas, you can buy overstock hardcover editions for around $5.
Oh, and for Skyler and Dimitri's book, I've decided to not read any more Carpathian books until that one is scheduled for release. Then I'll catch myself up for that one.

 
At Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 5:50:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber Daulton said...

BTW, which De Le Cruz and lifemate was mentioned? It's driving me crazy!

 
At Saturday, October 27, 2012 at 6:10:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Riordan.

 
At Monday, April 22, 2013 at 12:38:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

If anybody think they can write better than CF on her Dark Series - PLEASE!!! I would like to see you try!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home