Friday, May 4, 2012

Review: Good Bones


Reviewed by Jen
 
I've got to be honest. I'm always a little wary of an illustrated cover.  But I'm so glad the blurb convinced me to give this book a try, because I ended up really enjoying it.

Dylan is a gay architect who has essentially given up on love ever since he was turned into a werewolf.  He's afraid of putting anyone at risk.  And not just a potential boyfriend.  It's been getting harder and harder to lock himself up during the full moon while living in the city.  So he decides to buy a rural old home and renovate the place to live as secluded a life as possible.

He has one neighbor, a sexy country-boy named Chris.  He becomes Dylan's love interest and there is so much more to him than meets the eye.  Dylan hires him to help out with fixing up the house and from there, it's all about watching the evolution of their relationship.  At first, they are prickly and unsure. Then friends.  Then more.

While Dylan is the main character, it's Chris who is the heart of this book.  Neither man considers himself worthy of love, but it's Chris who made me so invested.  Chris, whose feelings I wanted to protect.  He starts out with all these defense mechanisms, but we see them all crumble as he falls head over heels with Dylan.  He doesn't believe in his own worth.  Chris knows Dylan is hiding something, and fears rejection at every turn.  It really pulled on my heartstrings.
"You don't trust me... Can't break up you ain't really together," Chris answered.

Finally he turned to face Dylan. He looked sad, pitying maybe, but not angry.  "I'm still going to do this Dylan. Still gonna work for you and cook for you, and we can still fuck, because I'm willin' to make do with that little. It's more'n I've had before, anyway.  And maybe it's for the best, 'cause then you won't break my fuckin' heart when you leave."
I kept waiting with my heart in my throat, in fear that poor Chris would get hurt, whether it would be because of Dylan's fears, or his secret, or the shady ex-boyfriend who is a threat on multiple levels. 

The sex is good. I cared about the characters. I loved watching them come together.  There was action and romance and a surprising amount of heart.  I liked it a lot.

Rating: B+

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon
Good Bones
by Kim Fielding
Release Date: April 20, 2012
Publisher: Dreamspinner Press

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home