Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Review: Alpha and Omega

Patty Briggs kicks off the PNR spinoff to her Mercy Thompson books with this fantastic short story, found in the On the Prowl anthology. It takes place after the events of Moon Called and while I think it would still make sense to new readers, it's definitely a richer experience after having read the other series.

It features Anna, a woman changed into a werewolf against her will and badly abused by her pack. She has taken it in silence for years, but she finally calls Bran, the Marrok, for help once she sees an article in the paper about a wolf she had seen in a cage at her Alpha's home. (Fans of the Mercy books will recognize the boy from Moon Called.) Not only is Bran already aware of the problem, but his son Charles is already on his way to investigate the pack.

When Charles arrives, he is instantly drawn to Anna. He realizes that she is not a submissive, but an Omega. She has the ability to calm a dominant wolf. And his wolf sees her as his mate. I absolutely loved this story. I loved that Charles finally gave Anna a way to feel safe. I loved that she found someone who will cherish her and care for her. The mystery of what was happening in Anna's pack was engaging and unpredictable and the ending sets up the Alpha & Omega series, which continues with the full-length novel, Cry Wolf. You could start the series with that book, but if you skip this short story, you are really missing out.

I know most people don't agree, but I think I love this spinoff series even more than the Mercy books. 5 stars.

Click to purchase: Amazon
Alpha and Omega
by Patricia Briggs
Release Date: August 7, 2007
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 2:57:00 PM CST , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I love these spin off books!! I can't decide which ones I love more though these or Mercy series. Great Review. I can not wait to read Fair Game.

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:01:00 PM CST , Blogger Francesca said...

Great review, I really need to start on Patricia Briggs books. I see so many good reviews about them!

Suzanne

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:12:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Ooooh Amber... Fair Game was great!! And there's a BIG ending.

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 3:14:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

They are good! The Mercy books don't have a lot of romance in them, though there is a love interest. --The A&O books are definitely more PNR in my opinion, but light on the sex scenes.

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 7:07:00 PM CST , Blogger Catherine said...

You're not the only one. I love this series even more than the Mercy Thompson series, too.

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 7:16:00 PM CST , Blogger JenM said...

Yup, A/O is officially my favorite series. I reread it all the time. Fair Game is waiting for me on my K, but I'm saving it for a long plane ride this weekend.

 
At Tuesday, March 6, 2012 at 10:31:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Loved Fair Game!! I hate that we'll have such a long wait to see the fallout from the events of that book!

 
At Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 6:47:00 AM CST , Blogger Unknown said...

I absolutely LOVE Patricia Briggs Mercy Thompson books! Have read all of them and think she did a great thing with the spinoff. Two great and powerful characters were chosen for it. A great story that I 'felt' all of the emotion coming off of the pages :)

Oh and I've had the hots for Charles from the first time he was introduced in the series. Such a mysterious man-lol
*sigh

~Ava~

 
At Wednesday, March 7, 2012 at 8:17:00 PM CST , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

I choose not to make the choice between the two series since there are so many crossover characters, but I do love them both.

Thanks for sharing your review! Love Patricia Briggs!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home