Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Review: The Darkest Seduction

Reviewed by Jen
 
Let me start out by saying that I am a huge, huge fan of the Lords of the Underworld series. And like everyone else, I have been anxiously awaiting the story that would give poor Paris his HEA. This book gave me all the things I wanted –and even worked in some amazing surprises—but it didn’t quite live up to its potential for me.

The biggest problem is simply that the book is bloated. It's too long and stuffed with too much stuff. I was excited when I first saw how thick it was, but it was actually a hindrance to the storytelling. The first 100 pages or so really dragged. It didn’t feel anything like the snarky, snappy, and sexy series I love. It was a portrait of a miserable Paris and a miserable Sienna, each enduring their own tragedies as they dream of a reunion. This could have been streamlined enormously and still conveyed the same things. It isn’t until Paris finally tracks down his long-lost woman, that the book becomes engaging at all. Maybe around page 150.

Once Paris and Sienna are together, you can start to see the sparks. And in their interactions, the book has some of its best moments. After all, their reunion is what we’ve all hungered for. But Paris has changed so much, he is almost unrecognizable from the character we once knew. I know he’s been through a lot, but I would have liked to see a few more glimpses of the suave Lord of Promiscuity. This guy is supposed to be the end-all, be-all Lothario and he just didn’t deliver. Yeah, the sex is hot, but no more so than with any of the other Lords.

We’re introduced to a slew of new characters, from the annoying Lord of Narcissism to three random Lords stuffed in a castle turret. I could have done without all of them. We also get a healthy dose of Zacharel, which is no doubt designed to set up Showalter’s new Angels of the Dark series. And I’ll admit… I’m intrigued.

There were some things I really did enjoy. Surprisingly, I liked the Galen and Legion sidestory and I find myself really rooting for these two to make a go of it. We got the set-up on Kane’s story with the female Horseman. And we got a few new teasers on the enigma that is William the Dark. Oooh—and Ashlyn finally has those babies. Hallelujah!! That woman has been pregnant for like, 10 years. All of that was great –as were the fantastic developments on the Cronus/ Rhea front… and a shocking tidbit about Strider’s history.

Yet, the book didn’t quite satisfy. Maybe it’s because it took too long to get to the good stuff. Maybe it’s because Paris isn’t Paris anymore.  I don't know.  It wasn't bad.  It just wasn't everything I hoped it would be. 3 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Harlequin

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Darkest Seduction
by Gena Showalter
Release Date: February 28, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin

Labels: , , , , , ,

16 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:36:00 AM CST , Blogger The_Book_Queen said...

Isn't is hard to explain when a book just doesn't uiet live up to our expectations? But I think you did a great job in this review! :)

I'm behind a bit on this series, though I love it, so I look forward to catching up and reading Paris' story as soon as I can.

Enjoy!
TBQ
TBQ's Book Palace ~ Want to win "Ride With Me"? Stop by, ends 2/28!

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:43:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

The thing is --I really love this series too. Big love. It's one of my favorites. Which I guess is part of the reason why I was especially disappointed.

I think my favorite book so far has been Aeron's.

Thanks for stopping by!!

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:08:00 PM CST , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mehhhhh, I am behind on this series, by about 2 books. And honestly, I wasn't THRILLED when the Paris and Sienna thing first started and has been played out to this eventual HEA for them. I don't know, I'm not sure I'll pick the series back up, but thank you for the honest review!

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 1:16:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I haven't given up on the series. --I've got to see Torin finally get laid one day-- I just wish I could have enjoyed this one a bit more.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 2:34:00 PM CST , Blogger Unknown said...

Great review Jen, I kinda liked all the extra stuff in this book, and I thought Narcissism was funny :) I also loved the Legion and Galen stuff too, I really want them to have a HEA!

Suzanne :)

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 2:37:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I'm glad it was a hit for you, Suz! I've got faith that I'll end up liking the next one better. I'm such a fan of the series.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 4:20:00 PM CST , Blogger KT Grant said...

As long as Paris and Sienna have sex a few times, I'm good ;P

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 4:26:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I don't think it's too much a spoiler to say... yes, they may have had a little bit of sex.

 
At Tuesday, February 28, 2012 at 10:15:00 PM CST , Anonymous DarkBloodyVamp said...

Thank you Jen for you honest opinion about the book. I have to agree with Pamela that I too did not really care for the Paris and Sienna hook-up and wished that Gena stayed with her original plan and have Paris hook-up with someone else. As you said, and I agree with you, Paris is not the same as he was at the beginning of the series and it got to the point that I couldn't stand hearing about his moaning over a blah girl like Sienna who did not care for him when she died originally (as I said Gena should have kept her dead like she originally intended). I'm still buying the book and I am going to read it but it sounds like I will enjoy the side stories more in particular learning more about William. Now I can't wait to read his book along with Torin's. However, in regards to Paris I never felt Sienna was the right character for him and felt he deserved more and better. Now please don't anyone get angry with me, it is just my honest opinion about my impression of the relationship. :)

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 5:47:00 AM CST , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

I am so glad to hear that there is a lot going on in this one. There are so many threads and I'm always happy to see at least some get tied off. Your review was thorough and helpful. I cannot wait to read it for myself.

Thanks!

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:30:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I'm so curious as to who Gena would have given Paris as a mate if she had kept Sienna dead. I read in her newsletter that the other woman she considered for him appears in the book, but I can't figure out who it would be.

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 10:30:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Hope you enjoy it. :)

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 12:23:00 PM CST , Blogger Julie said...

"That woman has been pregnant for like, 10 years" LMAO! I have yet to read this and I honestly have no idea when I will. But I will because I, like you, am a huge Lords fan. It's too bad about Paris but you are right - we've seen this 'different and depressing' side of him for a while now :( And I'll have to take your word about Galen and Legion because right now I'm all "ew ew ew".

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 12:29:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Let me know what you think when you read it!

 
At Wednesday, February 29, 2012 at 9:07:00 PM CST , Anonymous DarkBloodyVamp said...

Hi Jen!

The rumor that was going around before the book came out was that it would be the demon of Narcissism and since she makes an appearance in this book that is who it most probably would have been.

 
At Monday, April 2, 2012 at 9:03:00 PM CDT , Anonymous How to Make Love to a Woman said...

Other than as that woman who demands they take their shirt off completely unprovoked of course.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home