Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Review: First Grave on the Right

Reviewed by Jen
 
Funny. Fresh. Action-packed and a little dirty. I absolutely didn't want to put this book down. I loved the heroine. Charley Davidson is a snarky, brave, and hilarious woman who happens to be the Grim Reaper. She's also a P.I. and a consultant for the police department.

Obviously, Charley's a busy woman. But as the story begins, she is experiencing some super-sexy dreams that may be a little more real than she first thought. It appears her dream-lover is the same guy who she met once in a life-changing experience as a teenager and she has never forgotten in the years since. But who is the mysterious Reyes? How is getting into her dreams? The answers lead to even more questions. And in the meantime, Charley has her other responsibilities to deal with as well.

Someone has killed three lawyers. And Charley has to work with their ghosts and the police department to solve the case. Plus, she is trying to help one of her P.I. clients escape an abusive husband. It's amazing she has any time to rest, much less have a down and dirty affair in her sleep.

I liked so much about this book. Charley really is hilarious with her sarcasm and wit. But beneath the surface, her character really has a lot of depth. The entire Reyes story had me at the edge of my seat and as for the direction it took... well, I never saw that coming. I'm really curious as to how it will play out.

There's also a great cast of secondary characters like Charley's uncle Bob, her best friend Cookie, and sort-of nemesis Garrett. They each helped make the story richer.

It was really good.  I predict that this series and I will have a very happy future together. 4 1/2 stars.

Click to purchase: Amazon
First Grave on the Right
by Darynda Jones
Release Date: February 1, 2011
Publisher: St Martin's Press

Labels: , , ,

9 Comments:

At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:07:00 AM CST , Blogger A Buckeye Girl Reads said...

Just wait until book 2! It's one of the best second books in a series that I have read. Reyes became book boyfriend material in that one.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:34:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes!! Each book gets better and better in this series. Third Grave is my favorite so far. (I'll have a review up on that AND an interview with Darynda on Friday.)

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 9:43:00 AM CST , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I'm currently in the middle of book 2 on audio. I liked book 1 but I only gave it 3 stars.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 11:43:00 AM CST , Blogger Samantha said...

This series looks awesome! The description on the back reminds me a little of the showtime(or maybe it was HBO?)series "Dead Like Me". I'll be ordering the first book soon! :)

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 11:48:00 AM CST , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I love this series. Charley is hilarious, Reyes is sexy as hell and all the side characters like Cookie, her uncle and Garrett are all great. Great Review.

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 7:48:00 PM CST , Blogger Amber Hughes said...

I love this series! After reading the first book, Darynda became one of my new favorite authors. Loved the 2nd book too and I can't wait for Third Grave Dead Ahead!

 
At Wednesday, January 25, 2012 at 7:59:00 PM CST , Blogger Molli @ Once Upon a Prologue said...

I can't believe I've had this book for months now but haven't read it. It is DEFINITELY on my 2012 TBR. :D Your review points out some really awesome-sounding things about the book!

Molli | Once Upon a Prologue

 
At Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 9:00:00 AM CST , Blogger Good Choice Reading said...

Okay, that is it. I have to pick this book up. It has gotten so many great reviews and I still haven't picked it up. I've had it for a while now and I am always like "Should I? Should I not?" Well thanks to your review I am. Thanks!

 
At Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 9:07:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yay!! Victory!!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home