Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Review: I Love the Earl

Reviewed by Jen
 
You know what I loved about this book?  I never had to forgive the hero or the heroine for being an idiot.  Not once did they betray each other. Not once did they fail to forgive a shortcoming.  There was no subterfuge, no great misunderstanding.  It's just a story of a man, trying to win a woman's heart --and succeeding.

Margaret is firmly on the shelf at 30 when her brother inherits a Dukedom.  He decides to share his good fortune with his sister, offering a sizable dowry for her to finally snag a husband.  That money is just what Rhys needs.  But when he meets Margaret, he is taken with her quick wit and strong will... and he knows they would be a perfect fit.

Margaret wants a man to love her for more than the money her brother is offering.  And Rhys' financial problems are no secret, so it takes some time before she is assured of his affections.  But the sexual tension is good and when they finally come together, it's great.  There are a few foils for the couple along the way, but they're all external.  It's a short read... only a little over 100 pages... but a pleasant way to spend an afternoon.  4 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

I Love the Earl
by Caroline Linden
Release Date: August 2, 2011 
Publisher: Avon Impulse

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 11:17:00 AM CDT , Blogger JenM said...

I was glad I picked this up. I'd tried a previous book of the author's and wasn't wild about it but I liked the plot of this and I loved Margaret. She was so practical and matter of fact.

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 11:18:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Which one did you read? (I'll try to avoid it.)

 
At Wednesday, August 17, 2011 at 1:32:00 PM CDT , Blogger JenM said...

The other one I read was A View To A Kiss, but don't avoid it on my say so. My problem with it was that it was a spy story and I'm not a fan of those. It's gotten very good reviews and one of the reasons I wanted to try another one of her stories was that I was wondering if the reason I didn't care for it was solely due to the plot. I've concluded that must have been it because I enjoyed I Love The Earl enough that I would now try another (just not another spy story LOL).

It's funny how we as readers have certain story lines that we just don't care for, no matter how good the writing is. The reason I picked it up in the first place was that the hero is not a nobleman and that's one of my favorite tropes, I guess in this case, my dislike of spy stories trumped my love of commoner heros

 
At Friday, December 30, 2011 at 7:03:00 AM CST , Anonymous Lovestory28 said...

Hot Story, Love Story Online
http://lovestory28.blogspot.com

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home