Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Review: Kitty and the Silver Bullet

Reviewed by Jen
 
Kitty and the Silver Bullet opens five months after the events of the last book. Kitty and Ben are still together and have formed a pack two. All seems well until Rick the vampire tracks her down and asks her to come back to Denver to support his bid to become master of the city. Kitty likes Rick but doesn’t want to go back to Denver and deal with politics of the old pack she left behind. She says no, but finds out soon after that her mom has cancer, so she throws caution to the wind and goes back home, with Ben in tow.

She settles back in at her old radio station but keeps her head down. It doesn’t work for long. A famous Broadway star decides to use Kitty’s show to come out as a vampire. And while this seems like a coup, it turns out there is more to the woman than meets the eye. Not only is Kitty drawn into the battle over between Rick and the current master, Arturo… She comes face to face with her old alpha Carl and his mate Meg. It turns into an all-out war between Kitty, Rick & Ben versus Arturo, Carl & Meg .

There are some very poignant parts of the book, not the least of which is the introduction of submissive wolf Jenny. Kitty sees the young woman as a reflection of who she used to be and wants very much to save her. Kitty is also struggling with her mom’s health and mortality. Not to mention questions about her relationship with Ben.

There has been a “holy-cow” moment in every Kitty book yet. In Kitty and the Midnight Hour it was TJ’s death. It blew me away and I cried my eyeballs out. In Kitty Goes to Washington it was Kitty’s kidnapping and being forced to change in front of the cameras. I was enraged for her and felt her helplessness and fury. In Kitty Takes a Holiday it was Cormac going to jail. (The hook up and Kitty and Ben was pretty big too –though it happened early in the book.) And this book was no exception. Our big moment here (at least for me) happened when we realized Meg and Carl had Ben. I spent the whole book trying to figure out how we were going to get Cormac out of jail and get Ben out of the picture, so Kitty and Cormac could finally be together. Only, the moment I thought we were really going to lose Ben, my chest tightened up. I realized Ben had wound his way around my heart. And Kitty’s too. And all of a sudden, I didn’t want to get rid of him. I was angry at Carrie Vaughn for making me care about him and then taking him away in some awful, brutal way. I thought of that major character death in Kim Harrison’s For a Few Demons More, and I steeled myself for a fountain of tears. And then… He lived. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

So by spoiling you on every major development in all four Kitty books up to this point and even spoiling a major arc in an entirely different series, it doesn’t seem so bad to reveal that Kitty becomes the new werewolf alpha and Rick becomes Denver’s new master vamp. They all live happily every after!

This book was an emotional roller coaster for me. But it was fantastic. I still have a place in my heart for Cormac, but I no longer know where he fits. I still miss TJ and it makes me sad to think about him. But when all is said and done, all I really care about if finding out what happens next. 5 stars.

Why do I have so much trouble reviewing this series without spoilers?

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 3:29:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOVED this review!!!! You captured all my emotions completely and this was my FAVORITE of the series so far!!!!!!!!!! (I'm not done with House of Horrors yet!)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home