Saturday, December 4, 2010

Review: Kitty and the Midnight Hour


Reviewed by Jen
 
Kitty and the Midnight Hour is essentially romance-free, but was an excellent urban fantasy.  The story revolves around Kitty, a radio DJ and submissive werewolf.

We learn that Kitty is fighting to maintain her humanity, but is tied to a pack. She is good friends with the pack-beta, TJ. And is sort-of in love with alpha Carl.  In this world, part of the rights of the alpha is to sleep with anyone in the pack. I digress….

Kitty inadvertently turns her radio show into a call-in advice line for the supernatural… effectively setting up a chain of events that outs them to the outside world. She struggles with outside forces (and some close to her) that want to silence her. And she makes an unlikely friend in a werewolf hunter. (I thought more would develop between them, but hopefully that will happen in later books.)

It was a fast, tight story and I really enjoyed it. There was a (**spoiler**)surprise death toward the end that I didn’t see coming and I wasn’t happy about. But as upset as I was, it didn’t change my overall appreciation for the book. 5 stars.

Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 1:24:00 PM CDT , Blogger JillyB07 said...

I havnt read these books in so long! I dont think Ive read the last 2 or 3. I need to catch up cause you are right, they are so good.

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 1:27:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I really enjoy these book. I've read them all, but posted the reviews initially on my old blog. I pulled them over here when I launched this one but for some reason, they never archived properly. So I'm reposting them, so they'll show up in searches & whatnot.

I think Kitty has come a long way over the course of the series. But the romance parts have frustrated me.

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 4:11:00 PM CDT , Blogger Megan Mack said...

I think I read this book for a group read last year. For me it was very much like the first book in the Mercy Thompson series where I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. At least not until I read the second book. I haven't finished the second book in the Kitty series but I have high hopes for it.

Megan @Xenophobic Bibliophile

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 4:57:00 PM CDT , Blogger Cait said...

I haven't read this yet but I own it and definitely need too! Thanks for the review.

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 8:31:00 PM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

Romance free? Hmmm... I'm not sure about that. I like at least a smidgen.

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:39:00 PM CDT , Blogger Francesca said...

There is a smidgen of romance, it just so happens to be with the WRONG guy in my opinion!

 
At Thursday, May 5, 2011 at 9:43:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Do you mean Carl? Cormac?

I hated Carl and that sex sooo doesn't count to me as romance. Whereas, I loved Cormac and thought theywerethisclose to getting together. Then didn't.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home