Saturday, April 6, 2013

Review: Howl

Reviewed by Allison
 
Howl is a short story about a werewolf, a vampire and a blood slave. Essentially, Rand the werewolf comes to Hayden the vampire's castle in order to negotiate hunting rights on their shared property. While there, he samples Hayden's goods (Scarlet, the blood slave) and falls in love. Scarlet falls head over heels with Rand, but finds herself yearning for Hayden as well. She explains she can't really leave anyway because she made a deal with a witch to keep her from madness (schizophrenia) as long as she doesn't leave the castle. They all get really sad because they can't have what they want. Then they decide that sharing is better than not having any so the vampire, the werewolf, and the blood slave all live happily ever after.

Not sure if you can tell by my book report above, but I did not enjoy this short. I don't mind the wham-bam-thank you-ma'am in 90 pages, but there was nothing that made me enjoy the characters. I didn't feel anything. I was supposed to feel bad for Scarlet and her craziness, but I didn't. I was supposed to feel for the werewolf who feel in love overnight, but I didn't. I was supposed to feel for the stern vampire gone softy for his blood slave, but I didn't. Both men were ridiculous and wanted to own her. Scarlet herself was a bit of a contradiction because she wanted to be free but at the same time loved her arrangement with Hayden.

So, long story very very short - don't bother.

Grade: F

Howl
by Cynthia Rayne
Release Date: September 28, 2012
Publisher: Ellora's Cave

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Friday, April 12, 2013 at 7:01:00 AM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

Not sure about this publisher anymore. I used to like them but in the last 4-5 years - not one have I totally enjoyed.

 
At Tuesday, April 16, 2013 at 8:54:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one, I really disliked this one. It wasn't even that long but I had to convince myself to keep going.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home