Friday, November 2, 2012

Review: Iced

Reviewed by Jen

It cannot be denied. Karen Marie Moning can build a world like no other Urban Fantasy author I have ever read.  She completely reels me in. Captivates me. Enthralls me. Makes me go without sleep to find out what happens next.  She did it with her original five Fever books and she has done it again here, with her first Dani O'Malley spinoff.

To be fair, it's not exactly a spinoff at all. It's not narrated by Mac, but otherwise, this book is 100% Fever.  The tone is the same. The feel. It's gritty and dark and sexual.  It brings back all the core characters and picks up their lives exactly where they left off at the end of Shadowfever.  It was awesome.

Before I started, I was really worried about Dani as a main character.  She grew on me, though.  I was surprised to find that I liked her.  But I was even more surprised at all the men in this book who liked her... really liked her. The one thing that kept clogging the book up for me was that these grown men all want to make her their woman.  She four-fecking-teen.  One of the guys --Dancer-- I could wrap my brain around. He's 17.  They were friends first. But Christian?  A pseudo-Unseelie prince who is 11 years older than her and wants her for his bride?  Ryoden?  An ancient mind-reading, bad ass puppeteer of the masses?  Um... nooo.  I will grant you, Dani is tough, smart, special and has a heart of gold, but I just don't get it.  She is growing, but she is overwhelmingly immature in many ways.  Maybe the Gray Woman gave her more of a boost than we know in that last book. (The more I think about that explanation, the more I dig it.)

There are multiple POVs, which I actually really liked.  We got to see inside of characters that were all on the periphery of Mac's world.  I didn't like everything they did.  Jo, for instance, was... disappointing.  Kat was surprising.  And Christian was --well, Christian was a freak. I hope he can be redeemed.  Not as a love interest, but just as a man. As for Ryoden, I know most people are going to see him as the love interest.  After all, he's the Barrons of this book, right? But it's not what I want.  A man who is thousands of years old, who began stalking Dani when she was nine just does not feel good to me.  It most assuredly does not feel sexy.  I am hoping for a Dancer HEA, because I really think there is more to him than meets the eye.   And it doesn't squick me out.  Ryo is this intensely sexual being and Dani will only be 17 when her three books end.  It just doesn't work for me.

I have faith, though. As scared as I was about the direction this book would take, I loved 97% of it.  And I am betting KMM makes me understand the other 3% before she is through.  She hasn't let me down yet.

P.S. If you're wondering whether this book ends on a Fever-esque cliffhanger, the answer is no.  There is a minor one, but nothing like we saw at the end of Dreamfever or Shadowfever.  I say --don't wait, read it now.

Rating: A-


Click to purchase: Amazon
Iced
by Karen Marie Moning
Release Date: October 30, 2012
Publisher: Delacorte Press

Labels: , , ,

25 Comments:

At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 6:24:00 AM CDT , Blogger Obsession with Books said...

A wonderful review! I absolutely LOVED the Fever books so have been anxious to get hold of Iced but reading from a 14yo's POV put me off a tad, I also wasn't Dani's biggest fan.

I'll definitely be picking this book up soon, KMM is a master storyteller & I adore the world she has created.

Thank you for sharing :) you have made me all the more eager to bump it up my TBR pile..

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 6:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Underworld Love Addiction said...

Great review, I couldn't agree more.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 7:07:00 AM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

I'm reading this next. I'm glad to hear that Dani grows on you but I'm unsure about the men. I know KMM is amazing and that it won't be as gross as it sounds but right now...ew. ;)

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:11:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Awesome review! I'm glad you enjoyed it :)

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:24:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I still can't figure out Ryodan. Maybe he doesn't really want her sexually. It could be something else. I don't know. But Christen is a freak. I so don't want him to get with Dani. Dylan is the best bet so far. Even if I think Ryodan is sexy as hell he just doesn't work for me. Oh and Jo sucks.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:26:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

Well Ryodan works for me, just not as someone for Dani. I should have made that clear.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Awesome!! It was really good.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:29:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

Skips other comments just in case of spoilers...
AWESOME review! (I didn't feel spoiled at all. LOL)

I can't wait to get my hands on my copy and start it.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:29:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You must report back when you are done, Julie!!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:30:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Dylan? You mean Dancer?

And I am with you on Ryo. He is fascinating and awesome. I just don't want him with Dani.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:30:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I'm glad to hear Dani grows on you too. I think having multi POVs probably helped.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:30:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Hooray!!! I tried really hard to stay spoiler free.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 9:31:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

Ok, so I went back and read the other comments. LOL

I don't want to be spoiled but then a part of me can't help but hope for spoilers too. LOL LOVE this world.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 10:10:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

once again, awesome review! I re-read shadowfever last week, so I'm ready for Iced. I just haven't picked it up yet, and I want to set aside plenty of time to sit and read it, which I haven't had lately... maybe next week... Book Savvy Babe

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 2:26:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I should not comment on my phone anymore. I always mess shit up. Yes I meant Dancer.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 4:23:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I'm on chapter 5 so I'm glad that your review didn't have any spoilers!! :p You're right, KMM really is unparalleled in her world building skills. I'm so happy to be back in her universe. Great review; it makes me want to burn through the pages even faster!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 4:24:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

This book is everywhere! I haven't read the Fever series yet, but definitely plan to ASAP. Moning sounds like an amazing author. Great review.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:23:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm at 70% and I have to say that KMM is totally exceeding my expectations. I was VERY reluctant to buy this, but am so glad I did. Dani, who I haaaated in the previous books, TOTALLY has grown on me. And I LOVE the humor. I also had no idea how much I missed her Dublin, and the phenomenal world building. It's still VERY WEIRD for me to read a 14 yo POV in an adult series, but all in all so far I'm with you, KMM totally pulls it off.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you, Heather!! Come back and tell me what you think. You KNOW you'll want to talk about it!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

LOL. It's so hard not to talk about details! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:31:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

ZOMG. You must read from the beginning. Darkfever. Go now!!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:31:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I felt the same way, Pamela. I am so glad I put my worries aside. KMM is a master.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger ParaJunkee said...

We are absolutely on the same page -- Patti and I are doing a joint review with a discussion at the end, we are saying Feck spoilers and just talking about it LOL -- I hear ya about the Ryo thing, I'm squelshed with it...especially with all the boinking he is doing in the book. But, I don't get that he's a love interest yet, Christian and Dancer yes...which freaks me too, though LOL...

I'm just thinking that I didn't think a Dani POV would work and KMM pulled it off and I don't think a w/Ryo HEA will work...but KMM is a genius so I'm rolling with it.

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 5:39:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Oh my God, Christian is so completely around the bend! (I'm trying to roll with it too, but it's so hard to pull my speculation out of overdrive.)

I'll definitely come looking for that review.

 
At Saturday, November 3, 2012 at 6:52:00 AM CDT , Blogger Melliane said...

Oh now I can't wait to read this one! It sounds so good! great review.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home