Monday, July 25, 2011

Review: Storm's Heart

Thea Harrison has a gift for writing sexy Alpha heroes. First, she gave us Dragos... And now we have Tiago. (Purrr.) We first met the ancient thunderbird during the last story and honestly, I was a little disappointed that he would be the next Wyr to get his own book. We didn't really get to know him in Dragon Bound, except as a hulking, intimidating sentinel, who was fighting with Tricks. But sometimes an author knows what we want better than we do. This is one of those times.

As the story begins, Tricks has left the Wyr kingdom behind and is going to claim her place as the Queen of the Dark Fae. Things go bad quickly, when she becomes a target for assassination. So Dragos sends Tiago to find and protect her.

Even though Tiago and Tricks both worked for Dragos for hundreds of years, they didn't interact much. Now that they are thrown together, the fireworks are unmistakable. Tiago is commanding, powerful and sexy. And Tricks eats it up with a spoon. The sexual tension between these two was outstanding! What's more, there were plenty of opportunities for familiar tropes to take hold: lack of communication; big misunderstandings; self-sacrifice for the other person's supposed happiness or safety. I kept waiting for the inevitable, familiar roadblocks to fly up. There was one scene in a nightclub, where I was just so sure we were going to have all three devices take hold at once... I swear I was already rolling my eyes. But Thea Harrison sidesteps the conventional foils, leaving me jumping up and down on the sofa, hooting like an idiot. (Yes, I can admit that.)

In the meantime, there is a great storyline going on. We're treated to lots of action, as Tricks and Tiago fend off her enemies. And we've got a great mystery to solve as our couple works to figure out who is trying to kill her. As much as we learned about the Wyr in the last book, now we're getting a peek inside some of the other Elder Races. Harrison reveals more details about the inner workings of the Dark Fae and the Vampyres. And we travel to Adriyel, the magical Dark Fae land.

This book gave me everything I wanted. A hot Alpha hero, a smart and resourceful heroine... love, sex, action, adventure, strong secondary characters, and world building that is both consistent and easy to understand. The Elder Races series is a PNR fan's dream. Thank you, thank you, Thea Harrison. I'm pretty sure I love you. 5 stars.

*ARC Provided by Berkley

Storm's Heart
by Thea Harrison
Release Date: August 2, 2011
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, July 25, 2011 at 11:32:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mariya said...

I can't wait to read it =DDDD

 
At Monday, July 25, 2011 at 3:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger JJ said...

I thought I had fallen head over heels for Thea with Dragon Bound. It was AMAZING! then poof!Storm's Heart comes along and SWOON!!!!! I loved Tricks from the moment I met her and this book completely solidified it. Tiago=HAWT and YUMMY! I also adored how the author strayed from the typical "conflicts" b/w couples in these type of books... I cannot wait to keep reading her books!

 
At Monday, July 25, 2011 at 6:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lesley said...

I pre-ordered it after Dragon Bound, I can't wait to read it after reading your review.

 
At Thursday, July 28, 2011 at 5:07:00 PM CDT , Blogger Mandi said...

Tricks drunk made me laugh. A lot :)

 
At Friday, July 29, 2011 at 10:58:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Mariya & M/K/S: I hope you both enjoy it as much as I did!

Jenna: I knew you would love it!!

Mandi: Thanks for dropping by and for the link at Smexy. :)

 
At Sunday, August 21, 2011 at 8:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Lexi said...

Great review, makes me itch to read it!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home