Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Review: Beyond the Highland Mist


Reviewed by Jen
 
I am a big fan of Karen Marie Moning. I love her Highlander books and her Fever series.  But Beyond the Highland Mist was written before she hit that sweet spot in her writing that made me a fan for life.  It’s not that it’s a bad book –it’s not. It’s just a little better than a standard OK-romance novel. 

Hawk Douglas is the sexiest and hottest lover to ever grace the Highlands.  And when the Fairy Queen wishes to make her consorts jealous, she sings his praises.  It works. They decide to punish him by pairing him with a woman who will deny him.  The Court Fool, Adam Black, plucks Adrienne out of the present day and drops her into the lap of Hawk's fiance's father.  Janet, the woman Hawk is supposed to marry –though he has never met, is actually dead. So her father forces Adrienne to impersonate his daughter and marry Hawk.

Adrienne has been badly betrayed by her former fiance and she has sworn off “beautiful men.” When you couple that with Hawk’s reputation as a womanizer, she vows never to give in to his advances. Of course that makes him want her all the more.  To complicate matters further, Adam Black has insinuated himself into the picture, posing as an uber-sexy blacksmith, also vying for Adrienne’s attentions.

What I think I liked least about this book is that when seduction seemed to fail, Hawk turns to other methods to force Adrienne’s affections.  The story compares it to “seeling” a falcon and, yes, by that point, Adrienne was secretly in love with him.  But it still did not sit well with me.

Of course, Adrienne has her flaws too. She is downright cruel to Hawk, even when we get to a point where he clearly is in love with her. We all have our hang-ups and fears but there were times I found myself yelling at her to just get over it already.

Otherwise, the story was alright. It doesn’t measure up to Kiss of the Highlander, but it is in this book we meet the illustrious Adam, who plays a role in almost every Highlander story and even makes a cameo in the last Fever book. He’s a very different “man” than he becomes over time, but it’s interesting to see his evolution through the books. 3 1/2 stars.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Thursday, May 12, 2011 at 1:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

I need to read Karen's books. Everybody's talking about this series and the Fever series... It's annoying to feel like I'm missing out! hehehe My TBR pile is huge.

 
At Friday, May 13, 2011 at 12:24:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jill Buck said...

Was this the one where she was yanked in and out of time too? I thought the scene where they are in the bedroom and she is pulled away, then sent back to a differnt spot because Adam Black and someone else realize the couple had been in the middle of being intimate and decided they couldn't be separated then was very comical!

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 5:27:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Read my personal review on Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/815163.Beyond_the_Highland_Mist I gave this book what it deserved....FIVE STARS. Would have given many more if Goodreads gave the option. Karen Marie Moning....my girl....top five of my fav authors. Love ya' Karen smuah

 
At Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 5:53:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Wow. OK. I love KMM too. Shadowfever is one of my all time favorite reads. This was just my least favorite of her books.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home