Sunday, April 24, 2011

Review: The Restorer


Reviewed by Jen
 
It's always a treat when you end up liking a book more than you expect to. And this was definitely the case here for me...

Amelia can see ghosts. But she has known from a young age that she should never acknowledge them. She must live on holy ground and avoid people who are haunted. Her father's rules have served her well. But now, she finds herself in circumstances where the rules have gone out the window.

Amelia restores old cemeteries for a living. She is working on one in Charleston, when the body of a murder victim is found there. She gets drawn into the investigation, at first because of the detailed pictures she had of the site, but later, her knowledge of cemeteries and their symbolism becomes relevant as well.

The cop in charge of the investigation, John Devlin, strikes a major chord with Amelia. He's charismatic, dark and sexy. She fights her attraction to him because he is haunted by the ghosts of his wife and child. But her feelings for him grow faster than she can push them down. Devlin is a man broken by the loss of his family, but that is changing with Amelia in his life. I loved watching their relationship develop. There is great sexual tension between these two! Devlin's past and present are all tied in with the murder mystery... which grows more complicated as more bodies are found.

I became completely immersed in the murder case. I am a romance fan at heart, so usually I find myself wading through most stories just to get to the big relationship developments. But not here. I was just as wrapped up in the murders and the ghosts plaguing Amelia as I was in her pseudo-relationship with Devlin. There was intrigue, mystery, horror, and strong characters.

We do get a resolution to the murder arc, but many threads are left hanging as the book draws to a close... plenty of material to kick off the sequel. I can't wait to learn more about her family history and her future with Devlin. I just wish I didn't have to wait to find out what happens next! 5 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Labels: , , , ,

10 Comments:

At Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 9:02:00 AM CDT , Blogger Cait said...

Great review; I loved this book a lot aswell!

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 9:14:00 AM CDT , Blogger Bex said...

Oh, I sooo want to read this one! I've heard it's real good and you seem to agree! Great review. :)

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 10:54:00 AM CDT , Blogger Alleged Author said...

I like the whole idea of her having to live on holy land because she sees ghosts. Don't think I've read something like that before.

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 11:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger Van Pham said...

great review...will be adding this to my 'to buy' list! :)

 
At Sunday, April 24, 2011 at 3:58:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ BookShelfery said...

I LOVED this book! You can find my review here: http://bawdybooks.blogspot.com/2011/04/review-restorer-by-amanda-stevens.html

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 8:09:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks!! I'm excited now. I don't trust the ratings on audible, I'm glad I checked with you guys, Marcella liked it a lot too, and she just gave 5 stars to the next one.
Thanks so much!!
Great review!
I'm adding your feed to my blog's widget, so I can keep a closer eye ;)
I'm glad I've been coming here more often. You know.. so many blogs is really hard to keep up.

 
At Sunday, March 25, 2012 at 8:14:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I understand 100%. Thanks for adding me to your widget. That's a lovely compliment. I hope you enjoy the book. :)

 
At Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 3:05:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! Too many books!! I'm completely forgotten that I've read your review in fact that's why I bought the dam audiobook ...lol, but as usual so many new releases of series that I'm already a fan of, that I forgot about this.
Thanks!

 
At Sunday, July 22, 2012 at 3:08:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

So have you read it (listened to it) now? Did you like it?

 
At Monday, July 23, 2012 at 12:15:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

No, I'm starting it next, one of my friends reviewed it on my blog and then I remember all about it..lol
That's why I came back to check on your review, I had forgotten all about that your review was the reason I bought the book in the first place.
I'll let you know in couple days, I'm pretty I will enjoy it.
Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home