Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Review: Saved by His Submissive

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Where should I begin? This story is centered around a group of Doms who happen to be Special Forces, or is it a group of Special Forces who happen to be Doms? I’m not really sure, but I don’t think it matters much in the end. Garrett Wyatt is a tormented man. Since his fiancé’s kidnapping and subsequent death, Garrett has hidden beneath his devil may care attitude. Sage Weston is a tortured woman. She was kidnapped by human traffickers and has been held in captivity for the past year. During what he thinks is a routine rescue mission, Garrett is unexpectedly reunited with Sage. Can these two find each other in spite of the trials and tribulations of their time apart?

This was a slower paced story than I would have liked. I felt like I was learning more about the couple’s individual internal shenanigans and about Sage being held captive than I was about Garrett and Sage as a couple. A majority of the story happens while someone is under duress. That probably shouldn’t be an issue, but this story isn’t long - about 145 pages (pdf version).

Garrett was way too alpha for me - I can take a modicum of grunting, snarling and growling, but jiminy crickets – use your words, man. The relationship between he and Sage was strained to say the least, and I can’t say that I was invested in them as a couple. By the time it was for the sex scene to roll around, I was over it. There were a few things that didn’t add up for me. But if I go into them, I’ll give spoilers and I don’t want to do that.

Sage is a very strong woman. She’s a survivor. Her stubborn nature does what it takes, mentally and physically, to survive so she can fight another day. But surprisingly, that’s not what I most liked about her. The most important thing about Sage is her smarts. You can be many things, but if you know how to use your brain, you’re bigger and better than your opponent, be they friend or foe. And here’s where I had a problem. Sage is a very smart person, she’s an RN, she’s a Sergeant, and she went through basic and survived. Heck, she survived over a year as a captive and despite all of that, Garrett treats her with kid gloves when the bad guy comes knocking. She’s not weak, why treat her like she is?

One of the other unsettling things for me was that the majority of the story felt dragged out and blasé. There’s only so much internal shenanigans from both Sage and Garret that I can tolerate. Last but not least, I have a golden rule that’s not negotiable, I don’t like cheating. This is not a spoiler because it happens on page 36, Garrett gives his affection away to someone not Sage. Dressing it up as role playing is not cool with me because Sage didn’t know about it.

Even with all that, the story is good enough that I’m looking forward to the next story... only if it’s Zeke and Rayna, I really liked her.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: C

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Saved by His Submissive
by Angel Payne
Release Date: March 1, 2013

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, May 22, 2013 at 3:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

Appreciate you review thoughts! I'm still trying to decide if I want to read this one.

 
At Sunday, May 26, 2013 at 1:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

You're welcome. Give it a try you might feel completely different than I did about it.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home