Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Review: Mayan Prophecy Fulfilled


Reviewed by Shelly
 
I was so excited when I found out that there’s a sequel to Prophecy of the Undead because I thought there was such promise to take that story further. Human Keisha and vampire Yuri were great as a great couple in the first story. Unfortunately I found that I didn’t like them as much in this second story.

This story picks a few years after Prophecy of the Undead left off. Keisha and Yuri are living happily in the bliss that is the undead. The downside is that the bad guys are trying to replicate the results from her discovery of the intelligence hormone and have contracted scientist Neo Ying to do so. Ying’s primary responsibility is Ying and everything else is for the good of Ying – get where I’m going here? Keisha finds out that the bad guys want to use her discovery to create chattel out of humans and calls in some of her and Yuri’s friends to help her get to the bottom of all this.

Unlike the subtlety of the first story, there was so much about this story that I didn’t like. A lot of the story felt very jerky, forced, and pretentious. The introduction of Frank the alien was an interesting choice that in no way made sense to me. Part of the blurb talks about Frank, the ‘furry blue alien’ ("who has spent an eternity encouraging the dominant species on each plant to aim for the stars so they can become a contributing part of the universe") and "is dismayed to find that one of his favorite species, humans, seem to have lost their desire to venture off the planet." Just because humans are one of your favorite species why would another planet’s intelligent inhabitants not want to use them to advance their own species? There are quite of few of these situations that I just could wrap my head around. Another is the way that all humans, except for Keisha, are stupid and greedy.

After a couple days of reflection, it’s not that I didn’t like the story, because I still think the premise has great promise. What I didn’t like was pompous condemnation of the human race that the story took on. The entire last quarter of the story I could have done without - I felt like I was being spoken down to which I’m never okay with.

I’m still in-like with the first story in the series, just this one not so much.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: C-

*ARC provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
Mayan Prophecy Fulfilled
by Fiona McGier
Release Date: February 1, 2013
Publisher: Eternal Press

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home