Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Guest Review: House Rules

Reviewed by Jenna J
 
I'm not good with telling folks about a book that I like. I can totally discuss it with someone else who has read it, but I can't get much further than "It was so great, you should read it. or It was so bad, I wouldn't go anywhere near that," when it comes to an actual recommendation or review. So, when Jen asked if I would review House Rules I was reluctant, to say the least. I love this Chloe Neill series and if it wasn't for Jen I would have never met Merit, Ethan, and Chloe.. so how could I say no..especially when she was waving a shiny new copy in front of me?

Right out the gate we establish Merit and Ethan are a couple, they're living together and not just under the same roof. And, pretty much the whole house's mood hinges on their relationship. Ethan, though returned from the dead, isn't officially Master of Cadogan again but everyone pretty much treats him that way. It's why they all went along at the end of Biting Cold with him deciding to break away from the big bad GP..the vampire authority that rules over all the houses in the States. So, Ethan, Merit, and Cadogan have a little mixer with the Rogue Vampires aka non-housed fangers to see what it's like to not be under the GP's thumb.  This sets up one big bad: Two Rogue vamps disappear and their friends seek out Ethan and Merit for help.

Merit, the House, Ethan, are already having to deal with with the upcoming GP visit and their ulterior motives when it comes to the big break-up, now there's a hunt for someone targeting vamps in Chicago?! Needless to say, the GP isn't happy Ethan and company no longer want to be under their thumbs and they aren't going down without a fight. Ethan brings in what he thinks will be help to his cause.. in the form of a ex-flame. And boy do I HATE Lacie! For an older than dirt vampire she is acts like a teenage mean girl 99.9% of the time. This move and what happens as a result of it, really make Ethan look like a dumb dumb dumb male. You'd think as an older as dirt vampire himself, he would have a little more sense when it comes to women.. yeah he doesn't. I was able to get past the strife of Ethan and Merit in Biting Cold because I love them so much as a couple but insert Lacie and I was TICKED to say the least. Why invite trouble Ethan!? WHY?!!!

Anywho, cue Merit's scooby gang or the "Omnibuds", some of the usual help and even the not so usual, to try and get to the bottom of the vamp mystery. And, it was a fairly decent mystery on Chloe Neill's part that kept me turning the page. Like I said the GP isn't taking the Cadogan House leaving lying down so it makes for interesting fodder in between the mystery Merit and company are trying to solve. House Rules was worth the wait in my opinion. And, I'm already ready for the next one.. because those damned green eyes y'all..

Rating: A-

*ARC Provided by NAL


Click to purchase: Amazon
House Rules
by Chloe Neill
Release Date: February 5, 2013
Publisher: NAL

Labels: , , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 2:45:00 PM CST , Blogger jennyb845 said...

Those damn green eyes!! ITA. I need to know about them. I really did enjoy this one. I might be past Ethan dying. Might.

Nice review!:-)

 
At Tuesday, February 5, 2013 at 8:33:00 PM CST , Blogger Shelly said...

Nice review Jenny J!

 
At Wednesday, February 20, 2013 at 3:32:00 PM CST , Blogger Allison said...

I LOVE Ethan but the past couple books have been hard to swallow because I'm SO FRUSTRATED with him!!!!!!!! For the first 3 books, the sexual tension was amazingly well done but I'm so ready for a new source of conflict in this series!!!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home