Friday, April 27, 2012

Review: The Werewolf's Wife

As the new head of his werewolf pack, Ridge realizes that it's time for him to find a mate and start a family.  But before he can do that, he needs to get a divorce from the woman he married in Vegas during a one-night stand 13 years ago.  As hot as their drunken roll in the hay was, it ended very badly when he started to shift in bed --and the fiery witch responded with a powerful zap to his gut.  He hasn't seen her since.

Just as Ridge shows up on Abigail's doorstep, her son is kidnapped.  The mysterious abductor demands that she track down a particular vampire to trade for the boy's life.  Ridge agrees to help her get her son back.  And as they work together, all the old sparks start flying again.

My biggest complaint about this book is that it's predictable.  Basic math skills tip off the possibility of the child's paternity from the get-go.  We know that Ridge is starved for family and what better payoff could there be, other than one that's ready made?  The identity of the kidnapper is pretty transparent as well.

My other beef?  The very idea that Abigail could reignite this relationship while her son's in mortal danger.  Sure, I can see her leaning on this stalwart man and reaching out for his goodness and strength. But I just don't buy any mom putting her terror on hold to get laid.  Nope.  Her son has been kidnapped; his life is in jeopardy and she's going down on wolfman.  And then some.

The book is part of Michele Hauf's Beautiful Creatures world and references events and characters in the Wicked Games series.  You don't have to read those books to understand what's going on, but as a new reader, I could definitely feel I had missed something, with the large amount of backstory we're filled in on.  Also, as someone unfamiliar with the world-building, I got a little confused about what Ridge's were-form was.  It was explained, but not until very far in the book, that it's part-man, part-beast.  And then I got a little squicked out thinking about him having sex that way.

The book was ok reading in parts.  I liked Ridge and I wanted him to get his HEA.  But overall, it wasn't great.

Rating: C-

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon
The Werewolf's Wife
by Michele Hauf
Release Date: March 20, 2012
Publisher: Harlequin Nocturne

Labels: , , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, April 27, 2012 at 9:44:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

Okay the mom getting it on when her kid has been kidnapped is just horrible. I don't think I would read this book just because of that. It makes me want to hit her.

 
At Friday, April 27, 2012 at 10:41:00 AM CDT , Blogger BookaholicCat said...

I read two books by Michele Hauf and realized her style was not my style and didn't read her again. Sadly after this review I don't think I'll ever read her books again.

 
At Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:39:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

As a mother, I found this unfathomable... even inside the realm of fiction.

 
At Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:42:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

This is probably my least favorite of her books that I have read.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home