Saturday, March 17, 2012

Hanging Out with Patty Briggs

If I wasn't a fan of Patty Briggs before, I definitely am now.  (OK, so I was already a Briggs fan, but now I love her even more.)  I was lucky enough to spend two hours with the author of the Mercy Thompson and the Alpha and Omega series at a signing for Fair Game in New Orleans Friday.

I spied Patty in the bookstore about a half hour before the signing began and she patiently and kindly let me babble and gush on about how great she is.  And she never called security even once.

The gathering was surprisingly small, which gave it a much more intimate atmosphere. It was almost like we were all just sitting around chatting.  Patty gave a short reading from the book then answered questions from fans.  We spent alot of time talking about Bran.  She says she is not as adamant as she used to be about not writing his book.  But it's more likely to be a short story.  (She's working on a collection of those.)  The thing is, Patty likes her books to have a happy ending or at least a HFN, and she doesn't know that she could do that with Bran.  She said that zealots rarely end up happy and that Bran really is a zealot: protecting his wolves is everything to him.

We talked about Leah and how many people wished for her death (myself included.)  But Patty considers her a strong and vital character.  We talked about how some relationships are simply dysfunctional. I asked her if we should feel sorry for Leah and she said that she does.  But Leah knew what she was getting into when she married Bran.  That what she wanted was to be the Queen Bee and she got what she wanted.  But she'll never have Bran's love --and really, if Bran ever did love her, she would be unhappy because she'd be incapable of living up to the demands his love would bring.

Patty also says she is definitely doing short stories for Samuel, Ben, and Tad (who is a favorite of hers.)  She says she doesn't take notes to keep her world straight in her head, but she is thankful to the ladies on her forum who keep it all straight in the Mercy Canon section of the site, which is pretty awesome.

She points out that even if you don't read the Alpha and Omega books, that you really need to read Fair Game before the next Mercy book. That amazing ending is going to carry over big-time.

Other tidbits:
  • Adam would rather bite his arm off than let Jessie become a werewolf, though she may feel differently.
  • The next Mercy book will open with Mercy and Jessie shopping on Black Friday.
  • Bran's short story may be set in the past.
  • Patty loved writing a short story for Warren and found it interesting that killing bothers him so little.
  • Sometimes she writes backstory for her characters, just to help herself understand them better. She did this for how Mercy and Zee met and it became the basis for the Homecoming graphic novel.
  • Alpha and Omega wasn't initially designed to be a series, but the short story was so well received that her publisher asked her to turn it into one. She said it made for a sticky situation with the beginning really taking place in a short story. When Cry Wolf is released in hardcover, it will include the novella.
It was a great night and Patty was a lovely lady!  I hope I get a chance to meet her again.

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 2:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I bought an ecopy of Alpha and Omega novella because I LOVED the short story. Now that I know it will be included in the Cry Wolf hardcover, I plan on holding off on buying more books and snatch that up once it hits the shelves. I noticed the release of the graphic novel for Cry Wolf but I wonder if she will do one for the novella as well.
Book Sniffers Anonymous

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 3:13:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I wish I lived closer to LA so I could attend some of these signings. Lucky you.

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 7:00:00 PM CDT , Blogger zcb257 said...

Thanks so much for posting all the wonderful insight, fascinating!!! I'm a huge fan, and this just makes the books that much richer.

Adventures in Miscellany
http://adventuresinmiscellany.wordpress.com/

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 7:12:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing this article, I really love hearing about how other fans receive Patty. She is immensely popular here in the NorthWest where she lives and we tend to believe that everyone loves her and her books.
Wait a minute . . . she wrote Warren's story? Where? Is it available? How do I not know this already?
Ack!

Laurel N

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 7:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes. It's part of the anthology Down These Strange Streets released in October 2011.

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 7:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You're welcome! And thanks so much for dropping by.

 
At Saturday, March 17, 2012 at 7:55:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Lee @shewolfreads said...

I love Patricia Briggs and her work. I'm excited to hear she is considering writing a Bran short story. Love him as a character!

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 8:29:00 AM CDT , Blogger erin said...

Oh wow. Thanks for a great post. I'm definitely a Briggs' fangirl and I live in a spot where I never get to go to any signings :( But thanks for all the "insider" info! I have, read, and love all her books and Fair Game was soooo exciting. Can't wait for the next Mercy!

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 10:09:00 AM CDT , Blogger Francesca said...

I'm coming with you next time! Looks like you had a blast, Jen!

Ann

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 10:11:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You bet! Consider it an open invitation. :)

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 10:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I was so upset I couldn't go, I bet it wasn't as much fun without the crazy drunk fans! lol, don't worry I definitely making the next one and the champagne it's on me.
Sounds like you guys had a good time, I'm so glad to hear how cool she is, she one my very favorites.
Thanks!

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 10:25:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

True, there was no champagne --nor a sexy cover model. It was a very different vibe than the K-Cole event.

But I got a lot out of it and I think everyone else did too. Patty was very accessible and so friendly! We all got one on one attention. It was really awesome.

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 1:08:00 PM CDT , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

Every time I read about someone's impression of Patricia Briggs they all describe her the same way- approachable and down to earth. I have been a fan since before Mercy Thompson and I just love her writing and the thinking she puts into her story writing.

Thanks for sharing!

 
At Sunday, March 18, 2012 at 4:30:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jess said...

I was lucky enough to go to a signing earlier this month (on my lunch hour no less)and it too was a fairly smallish gathering, but Patty was so sweet and nice and very easy to chat with. It just made me that much more of a fan.

Thanks for posting the info! I'm already counting down to the next Mercy book. Next year, right? *whimpers*

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 7:35:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mandi said...

Awesome. What a fun day!! Thanks for all the tidbits too!

 
At Tuesday, March 20, 2012 at 8:21:00 PM CDT , Blogger elena maria said...

Interesting to get her direct thoughts on Leah. I never outright hated her, but at least I understand her role in the books better.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home