Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Review: Fate's Edge


Reviewed by Jen
 
The Edge series has turned a corner for me with this book. Don't get me wrong - I enjoyed the first two. But in each installment, I felt like I had to work for it.  Now, for the first time with this series, I was able to jump into the story with both feet from the beginning. Maybe it's because I am already familiar with the world building and many of the characters, but I don't think so. I think it's more of a change in focus. This book felt much more honed in on our main couple and their adventure, while the introduction of new characters and POVs were more of a gradual trickle than an overpowering flood.

This is Kaldar's book.  He was introduced in Bayou Moon as Ceri's rouge, conman cousin. He is gorgeous; he is glib; he's charming; and he is nursing a serious desire for revenge against the Hand. It's been two years since the Spider and his agents killed off half the Mar family, but Kaldar can't let go of what happened. He is working for the Mirror now and as the story begins, he is granted a mission with the potential to give him the vengeance he covets.

Audrey grew up in a family of grifters. She possesses magical lockpicking skills but she wants to lead a legitimate life now. Her dad pulls her in for one last heist, but this is no small-time job. Unbeknownst to her, they are stealing a magical device that both the Hand and the Mirror would kill for. Retrieving the item, is Kaldar's mission. But by the time he tracks the theft to Audrey, she no longer has it. The two of them have to work together to find the device before it falls into the wrong hands.

Audrey is perfect for Kaldar. In many ways, she is a female version of him: smart, slick, and changeable. She calls him on all of his b.s. They were an easy couple to root for. But it took for-ever for them to get together. I understood the internal conflict and the reticence, but I would have liked even just a few more crumbs along the way... maybe a little bit more fooling around would have helped me soldier on until they accepted their feelings.

But while the relationship was a slow burn, the action was anything-but. The story really moved from the beginning here and it had a lot of heart (in no small part, thanks to the large roles Jack and George played.) The kids were a big, big win for me. Even though he is only 14, I can easily see George carrying off the lead in his own book someday. Jack too. And Lark's going to figure in somehow. It will be epic. But I digress...

We've got a great new villain, with ties to the Spider. And while our big bad from the last book is down, he's not out yet.  And though Kaldar isn't my favorite hero (that would be William) and Audrey isn't my favorite heroine (that would be Rose)... I still think this may be the best book in the series yet. It's a great blend of the new and the familiar. It's got heart. It's got action. And it's got a raccoon called Ling the Merciless. How could it not be a winner? 4 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by Ace

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Fate's Edge
by Ilona Andrews
Release Date: November 29, 2011
Publisher: Ace

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, November 22, 2011 at 9:16:00 AM CST , Blogger CdnMrs said...

Can't wait to read this. Thanks for the great review!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home