Friday, June 28, 2013

Review: Spartan Frost

Reviewed by Jen
 
I have to say, I was so excited when I found out we were getting a novella from Logan's POV. I'm always down for getting in the head of a series hero, but this one was even more tempting to read because of the angsty way the last book ended. After all, the dude tried to kill his girlfriend!  The emotional impact should have been huge.  Only, it wasn't really.

Yeah, Logan feels like crap for what happened. He blames himself. He doesn't trust himself. And he wants revenge on the Reapers.  But if you're looking for anything deeper than that, you're SOL.  This is novella is really short. A third of it focuses on recounting the events of Crimson Frost, a third of it focuses on a battle with some Reapers, and the rest is a look at Logan's relationship with his dad (and a really descriptive scene involving the contents of their breakfast.)

Don't get me wrong. I enjoy Estep's writing (and her foodie scene always make me hungry.) But this was pretty superficial and didn't show me anything new about Logan as a character.  It wasn't a bad read, but it felt I could have gotten just as much out of this if it were pared down and delivered as a web short.

Just ok.

Rating: C

*ARC Provided by Kensington via NetGalley


Click to purchase: Amazon
Spartan Frost
by Jennifer Estep
Release Date: June 28, 2013
Publisher: Kensington

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Friday, June 28, 2013 at 9:31:00 AM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

I don't like when the author spends time on the inconsequential (breakfast) when there's a good story waiting to be told. Maybe the next one will be better ;-)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home