Thursday, May 30, 2013

Review: Valkyrie Slumbering

Reviewed by Shelly
 
My first VanHorn, but not my last and while it’s a novella it definitely drew me in. Kyra’s on a revenge quest. Her father’s been murdered and the need for justice is high with her. Along the countryside she meets Grim who has some (if not many) secrets and skill (both on the off the battlefield) and is on his own personal quest.

This story took about a chapter for me to get in to, but once I was in – I was on board for the adventure. I must give one single warning before going on. This is meant as the beginning of a series, and judging by this installment,they’re going to connect and more enjoyable if read in sequence. This one ended in a cliff hanger so it’s no stand-alone and I would definitely recommend sequential reading.

Kyra is a tough one – she has her feminine traits but she can kick some butt when she needs to. I liked her quite a bit but if I had my druthers I want to see more dialogue between these two. There are a lot of inner thoughts which is usually so one-sided, it’s from Kyra’s point of view. I can’t wait to read more about Grim. He’s the strong, unselfish and kinda chivalrous, in an ole school Viking way.

Best part and what I really liked about this story is the world building that VanHorn has started. The scenery and correlation to myth is vivid – really pretty awesome stuff and fun. So for that alone I can’t wait for the second story in the series. For such a short story, there are a few sexy times and while they were good (don’t judge) I think I would have liked to see this couple show some restraint. But hey – when in Viking land you gotta live everyday like it’s your last!

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: B-

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Valkyrie Slumbering
by L Vanhorn
Release Date: March 2, 2013
Publisher: Inferno Publishing

Labels: , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, June 19, 2013 at 10:56:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Thank you for the lovely review! I'm glad you enjoyed the first installment in the Valkyrie series.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home