Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Review: Hot Blooded

Reviewed by Jen
 
It's an action-packed ride in this second installment of the Jessica McClain series. The story begins with our heroine chomping at the bit to save her mate and things do not slow down once between the first page and the last.

First off, let me say that if you haven't read Full Blooded, I urge you start there.  This book is a continuation of that one --and while this has a self-contained mission, it all hinges on the events of the first installment.  There is a little bit of backstory mixed in, but not much.

Basically, the entire book is about Jessica's journey to rescue Rourke from the clutches of the evil Goddess Selene, who kidnapped him.  She takes along her brother and one other wolf --along with her human nemesis and general PITA Ray-- plus two vampire guides names Eamon and Naomi.  Their path is full of traps and landmines laid out by Selene.  As Jess overcomes one after another, she (and we) learn more about her strengths as a Lycan, and what that means in relation to the prophecies about her.

I like Jess. She is very powerful, but is determined to hold on to her humanity.  She not only wants to do the right thing, she puts her money where her mouth is, even when it's hard.  But the real highlight of the book for me was Naomi. She was not what I expected and I grew to really like her.  And Ray... well, I think there is more to Ray than meets the eye somehow. (I could be totally off-base on that, but time will tell.)

Here's the thing, though.  I liked the book, but didn't love it the way some of my fellow reviewers did.  It's well written; the pacing is good; the world-building is solid.  But I don't feel an emotional connection to the characters. I like them.  But I don't feel their feelings. Yes, I know Jess wants to get Rourke back, and thinking about him makes her wolf run in circles, but I don't feel a crushing weight or fear of a life without him.  (Frankly, their time together as mates lasted about as long as a sneeze, so maybe that has something to do with it.) It's not just about Rourke, though. It's deep feeling for anything, everything.  Her thoughts and feelings are intellectually conveyed to me, but it's missing that intangible thing that makes me feel like I am not only inside Jessica's head, but her heart.

It is a good read, though. It kept me interested and invested in how it would all play out.  And Amanda Carlson does a great job laying the groundwork for the next battle ahead.  It looks like another exciting ride.

Rating: B

*ARC Provided by Orbit

Click to purchase: Amazon
Hot Blooded
by Amanda Carlson
Release Date: April 23, 2013
Publisher: Orbit

Labels: , , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 9:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I felt the same way about this one. I liked it but I didn't like as much as Full Blooded.

I agree with the mate thing too. They haven't spent enough time together to have true feelings for each other. I hope they get more time together in the next book.

 
At Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 9:40:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I think most of us missed Rourke time... I totally agree with you about Ray, I think our feelings on this book are pretty much the same. Great review- Book Savvy Babe

 
At Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 1:48:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I definitely need to add book 1 to the list! My list is growing by leaps and bounds lol

 
At Wednesday, April 24, 2013 at 7:18:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Ray is growing on me, especially after this book. I automatically assume there's gonna be insta-mates whenever I read a werewolf book so it didn't really bother me but I can understand your point of view.

 
At Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 3:50:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Doesn't that always seem the case?? (For me too.)

 
At Thursday, April 25, 2013 at 3:51:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I don't mind insta-mates with wolves as much as with non-shifters, but I would like a chance to see something more develop, KWIM?

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home