Sunday, February 24, 2013

Review: Tangle of Need

Reviewed by Jen
 
This was not the best romance the Psy-Changeling series has to offer. Not by a mile. But I really still enjoyed the book.  There were so many other really great things going on, mostly with the characters we have already grown to know and love.

OK, let's talk about the romance first.  We first met Riaz back in Andrew & Indigo's book.  His life sucks in a big way, since he met his mate and she is already happily married to someone else.  He's come back to the den to lick his wounds and take solace in the pack.  Our heroine is Indigo's aunt, Adria.  She has finally broken up with Martin, her longtime partner in a highly dysfunctional relationship.  She was too dominant for him and he made her pay for the disparity with passive aggressive cruelty. Now she is starting over, but is afraid to risk her heart.

There's an attraction between Riaz and Adria right away, but Riaz feels like being with another woman is a betrayal to his true mate.  He punishes Adria for his attraction to her and constantly tries to put distance between them. It made him hard to like.  Eventually, they go the "friends with benefits" route, but feelings start to creep in, which ends up terrifying the both of them.

Riaz isn't a bad guy. He's stuck in a miserable position, but he treated Adria like garbage for a good chunk of the book.  It didn't make me a fan of their relationship. She was always trying to guard her heart, and who could blame her? She KNOWS another woman was meant for him.  It's also hard for the romance lover in me to know these two can never mate, even with the poignant reminder that humans have love without mating all the time.  Even though you know they'll end up together, it was just kind of a bummer for the most part.

Where the book shines, though, is when it puts its focus on the secondary characters.  We get to see a lot of Hawke and Sienna as they enjoy mated bliss. Their mating ceremony was amazing. It made me cry!  We also get a healthy dose of Mercy and Riley --another one of my favorite couples.  And we get to see them all come together as friends. The scenes with Riley and Hawke are among the best in the book. I laughed a lot. I felt so connected to these characters and their lives.  It was great storytelling.

And my review wouldn't be complete without a shoutout to the ongoing Psy storyline involving Kaleb, the Arrows, Pure Psy and the ghost.  The ending was phenomenal and I can only hope and pray that Kaleb's book is next! I can't wait.

P.S. "Pupcub" is now my favorite word. Ever.

Rating: B

Click to purchase: Amazon
Tangle of Need
by Nalini Singh
Release Date: May 29, 2012
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Sunday, February 24, 2013 at 4:34:00 PM CST , Blogger Lover Of Romance said...

I actually quite liked this one, although not as much as Kiss of Snow...but I did enjoy having a side story of Hawke and Sienna. I do agree with you though that Riaz wasn't my favorite of heroes, but I did like Adria from the start. Thanks for sharing such a great review!!

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 at 6:24:00 AM CST , Blogger Jen Twimom said...

Yea you are caught up now! I had trouble reading this one... I just couldn't connect with the characters and there was almost too much going on. I think your review hit the nail on the head. It wasn't a bad book at all, but I just couldn't dive in and tear through it. Can't wait for OBSIDIAN next!

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 at 11:52:00 AM CST , Blogger RedButterfly said...

Jen your review was great, I'm with you in all the things you loved and hated in this book, the relationship between Riaz and Adria was kind of a let down wich was sad since I loved Adria. This is the only book by Nalini Singh that I have a love/hate relationship.

Let's see what Heart of Obsidian has in store for us lol Also I cant wait to read Wild Invitation

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 at 12:10:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you. I laughed a lot while reading... I really felt the family-vibe of the pack. <3 <3 <3 Hawke & Sienna. But also Hawke & Riley!

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 at 12:11:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

OMG. I am so excited about Obsidian... It HAS to be Kaleb's book, right?????

 
At Monday, February 25, 2013 at 12:13:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Wild Invitation is great! I was so glad to see more of Lara & Walker's story there.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home