Friday, February 15, 2013

Review: A Fallow Heart

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Have you ever read a story and just feel the dread in your spirit that when the story ends you’re going to still want more? That’s the way I felt when I read this story. Talk about an emotional roller coaster, but I couldn’t stop turning the pages wanting the ride to go on and on.

Since they were children, farm-boy Cooper Gerhardt has always had a thing for rich girl Jo Ellen Rawlings. Ten years ago, he had a single glorious moment with her but then tragedy hit and that moment went away. Cooper only wants those around him to be happy and has never forgotten Jo Ellen and he doubts that he ever will. Jo Ellen is so eaten up in her guilt that she’s let that be the marker by which she lives her life. Watching these two finally collide was like pulling off a bandaid. You know it’s gonna hurt but it’s gotta be done.

Although the basic premise of this story is not new – poor boy loves rich girl-- the way that Kage tells this story makes it stand out from the rest. I’m the world biggest fan of a well thought out plot. From exposition to denouement, this story had me going. The development of the characters, not just Coop and Jo Ellen, but all of the secondary characters was well done. If you’re thinking that there is a single ‘perfect’ character in this book, I’m here to tell you that each of them has faults and fears, and that’s what makes for an interesting read.

Coop and Jo Ellen were wonderful as individuals and even better as a couple, each has their own burdens and crosses to bear, and I couldn’t choose which character I liked more because they were both extremely likable and I felt for each of them. I must give props to Kage on this – thank you for not once mentioning her ‘long flowing locks’ or his ‘hard rock body’. I also want to say THANK you for letting Jo Ellen see Coop at the water well in that lip-smacking scene of Coop trying to cool off from that hot sun. Oh my, I do declare.

Emma Leigh, Jo Ellen’s sister, was as tomboyish and cantankerous as they come but could not have been a better sister. Oh, if we could all be so lucky. She knew when to push and when to back down. Their brothers Grady and Caine were – well brothers, you know how they can be, surly but lovable. I would really like to see more about the town folk of Tommy Creek especially B.J. Gilmore, Cooper’s friend. She’s got some secrets and I think I know who they might be about but…

As this isn’t classed as erotica I didn’t expect explicit sex scenes and I didn’t get any. I’m not saying they weren’t good, because they were. They wouldn’t make you blush, but they wouldn’t leave you wondering what happened either.

In the end, I didn’t want the story to end. I look forward to more from this author. Really well done.

Happy Reading folks!

Rating: A

*ARC provided by author for review


Click to purchase: Amazon
A Fallow Heart
by Linda Kage
Release Date: December 27, 2012
Publisher: Secret Cravings Publishing

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Saturday, February 16, 2013 at 5:17:00 PM CST , Blogger Linda Kage said...

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the wonderful review! B.J.'s story is The Trouble with Tomboys if you wanted to know if your suspicions about her were right!

 
At Monday, February 18, 2013 at 10:42:00 AM CST , Blogger Shelly said...

It was good - had me crying more than I would like to admit.

Linda - you're such a tease ;-) --- I'm definitely looking forward to B.J.'s story --- soon right?

Awesome stuff...

 
At Monday, February 18, 2013 at 10:50:00 AM CST , Blogger Shelly said...

I found The Trouble w/ Tomboys! It looks like it was done in 2010. Interesting timeline choices but I'm going to give it a go.

 
At Monday, February 18, 2013 at 2:44:00 PM CST , Blogger Linda Kage said...

I know, I'm totally weird. I don't write books in the order they're supposed to be written in at all!! I hope you enjoy it though!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home