Friday, December 7, 2012

Review: Provoked


Reviewed by Jen
 
After I read Consumed earlier this year, I told myself I would go and read the backlist on this series.  Now, reading this latest installment, I am renewing my pledge to do just that. This series is really cool. It's got great world-building with continuing threads that span from book to book.  Yet, Rebecca Zanetti makes it easy to jump in as a new reader.  She manages to fill you in with everything that's been happening in a way that seamlessly folds into the story.  It's good stuff.

This is Kane's love story. He is the analytical, brilliant adviser and brother to the king of the vampire people.  Their youngest brother, Jase, is being held captive by the demons and he has a plan to rescue him.  It requires finding and drafting a demon destroyer.  And wouldn't you just know that one is broadcasting her abilities loud and clear??

Amber has no idea of what she is.  In fact, she is an adamant pacifist.  But Kane isn't the only one picking up her unintentional signal.  The demons are after her too --and once the danger becomes obvious, she throws her lot in with Kane and agrees to help him.

I can't say I was in love with Amber as a heroine.  Her tree-hugging sensibilities were hard for me to connect with.  And I felt like a little too fine a point was put on her forcing her veganism and other preferences on everyone else.  But that was probably the only thing I didn't enjoy about the book. I liked Kane... his intensity and his honesty.  I thought the sexual tension was hot and so was the bedroom action.

The secondary stories were great. I was really into the sidestory with Jase... and even more wrapped up in what is happening with young Janie and the two men in her life.  Clearly, this has been an arc percolating for a long time.  And when the payoff comes, that book is going to rock my socks off.  I'm feeling like Zane is the obvious choice for her, but part of me carries a little hope for Kalin. (Is that wrong?)  Honestly, their history is the biggest reason I want to go back and read the older books.

There are plenty of action and battle scenes.  Plenty of scheming and machinations.  It's all layered in with the romance and the b- and c-plots.  I love books that are intricate in this way. Especially when the author can pull it all off without being confusing.  (Which she totally does.)

Well done.

Rating: B+

*ARC Provided by Kensington via NetGalley


Click to purchase: Amazon
Provoked
by Rebecca Zanetti
Release Date: November 1, 2012
Publisher: Kensington

Labels: , , , , ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, December 7, 2012 at 8:58:00 AM CST , Blogger Mandi said...

Hmmmmmmmm...might need to add this author to my list.

 
At Tuesday, December 11, 2012 at 1:04:00 AM CST , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

I'm not familiar with this series. But I love when a story invests me enough to want to go back. I might need to check this out.

 
At Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 4:42:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Let me know if you do. I like her!

 
At Wednesday, December 12, 2012 at 4:42:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

This series definitely does that!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home