Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Review: Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet

Reviewed by Jen
 
I really do love the Charley Davidson series.  These books are funny and action packed. They're sexy with great characters.  And the world-building just gets more and more interesting with every book.

I'll admit, I had a little trouble reconnecting at the start of this book. Third Grave ended with a major betrayal by Charley's father and while there were emotional repercussions, I felt like we skipped over something. A couple of weeks have passed and there seemed to be no real consequences for Charley getting arrested. It was like her dad's actions were for nothing.

Also, there was a schism between Charley and Reyes that didn't really make sense to me.  It's so clear how they feel about each other, so why the distance? It felt forced.

BUT it got better.  As with all Charley Davidson books, there are two layers to the book. One is the PI case that Charley needs to solve. The other deals with the larger story arc of Reyes and the demons who want to get their hands on Charley and her heavenly portal.  (tee hee) Both threads are well done.

The case in this book involves a woman who has been stalked and harassed her entire life. She hires Charley to find out who is doing it.  (There is cool twist on this at the end!)

The "bigger picture" part of the story is even better.  We get a closer look at the demons that are coming after Charley. And we learn more about the higher powers that schemed to throw Charley and Reyes into each other's path. Lord have mercy, we also get more exquisitely terrible/ wonderful sexual tension between these two.  For the first time, all of their interactions are in the flesh. No more incorporeal interactions.  It gives things a fresh (hot) layer in their relationship.  I wish there was just a little less angst there.  Even when there's progress, there is also regression.  But Reyes is so hot, I want to spread him on a cracker and eat him whole.

Where was I?

Charley is changing, both emotionally and physically. I feel like her trademark humor is becoming more of a crutch to deal with the horror she's lived through. And her powers are growing.  The people around her are changing too. These books have such a great cast of characters and I love that they are not stagnant.  I also love that everything seems to happen for a reason.  Even if it's not evident right away.

There are many questions answered and just as many new ones posed. (Like that whole spiel about the key of darkness and the locket of light.  Darynda needs to explain that one, stat.)   I was really satisfied with the ending this time around, but still... Fifth Grave Past the Light can't get here soon enough.

Rating: B

*ARC Provided by St Martin's Press


Click to purchase: Amazon
Fourth Grave Beneath My Feet
by Darynda Jones
Release Date: October 30, 2012
Publisher: St Martin's Press

Labels: , , ,

12 Comments:

At Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 11:22:00 AM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Fantastic review! I love Charley & have been looking forward to this one for months!

 
At Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 2:46:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I've had this one sitting on my night stand for over week and I plan to start it by the end of the week. It will be a little weird for me to read it since I've done the rest in audio but hey I got a free copy so why spend my audio credits. ;)

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 5:30:00 AM CDT , Blogger Sophia Rose said...

I cannot wait until its my turn to read this. Your wonderful review has me so eager now.

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 7:17:00 AM CDT , Blogger Melliane said...

I agree we have many answers but now we want some new ones. I'm curious to see how the sequel will be.

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 5:53:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kristilyn (Reading In Winter) said...

I just read the second book in this series and it was great! I really love Charley's character! :) Great review! I can't wait to continue on with this series!

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 6:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thanks! I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 6:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Totally worth the switch. :)

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 6:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yay!! I hope you get to read it soon.

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 6:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Me too. I want some Charley & Reyes love!!

 
At Wednesday, October 31, 2012 at 6:03:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I am so jealous that you have book 3 ahead of you. It's awesome!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 6:33:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber R. @ Awesomesauce Book Club said...

I just skimmed this review, I haven't read it yet but I can't wait to read it! I'm sad to see it only got a B rating but we'll see how it goes!

 
At Friday, November 2, 2012 at 7:02:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

It's still really good. It just took me awhile to reconnect at the beginning.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home