Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Review: Take It Like a Vamp

Reviewed by Shelly
 
Shy and reserved Casey Meyers has had a crush on her neighbor Nick Christos since she moved into his building. Nick, a vampire, has also been crushing on his human neighbor Casey since she moved into her Aunt Teddie’s condo nine months prior. Once these two get together, interesting things start to happen and quite a few secrets are revealed. Casey hasn’t had much luck with men, unless you consider bad luck. She always been a bit of a loner and these bad relationships haven’t helped her self-esteem one bit. First, let me say this – ANY story that begins with a woman removing her Spanx after a crappy date – I’m automatically giving extra points for that!

Okay, now on to the good stuff. What really worked for me was that this is a well-told story, considering the relationship itself was condensed. There was good character development, conflict, dialogue and all yummy things that made me turn the page. Don’t get me wrong, there were moments when I thought the angst was a bit overdone but those happened in the beginning of Casey and Nick’s relationship; as far as I know that’s common in most if not all couple’s relationships.

I enjoyed Casey. She was likable and someone I could really relate to. Yes, she had some issues but they weren’t over-the-top and Nick was no better. Although he was an 800-year-old werewolf/vampire, he had quite a bit of baggage in the name of Alvinia, the dreaded ex. This chick was the epitome of bad and I really wish she had more scenes in the book. There are some things that Nick does that don’t support what we would consider the normal vampire, but to me there were plausible and you’ve got to consider that (1) this is fiction and (2) it’s not my story to tell.

There were a lot of other secondary and fun characters: Mason – Nick’s human assistant, Aunt Teddie – Casey’s aunt who used to be her uncle, Linc – Nick’s (werewolf) best friend who’s also a clothing designer and Bennett, Casey’s human assistant and best friend. I’m hoping for a follow up with Linc and Bennett because I felt a little tension that could make an interesting read.

The sex scenes between Casey and Nick weren’t explicit, but they were good nonetheless.

Overall, this was a good book. I really cared about Casey and Nick and definitely wanted them to have their happy ever after. And just in case you’re wondering, Candace, Linc and Bennett told me that they’d like their own story.

Happy Reading Folks!

Rating: B+

*ARC Provided by Entangled Publishing

Click to purchase: Amazon
Take It Like a Vamp
by Candace Havens
Release Date: July 21, 2012
Publisher: Entangled Publishing

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 22, 2012 at 12:08:00 PM CDT , Blogger Allison said...

Casey’s aunt who used to be her uncle, Linc

I love it!

 
At Friday, August 24, 2012 at 12:11:00 PM CDT , Blogger Shelly said...

Everyone has one of those right? ;-)

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home