Friday, June 29, 2012

5 for Friday - June 29

Happy Friday, everybody! Or perhaps, a more appropriate salutation Happy Magic Mike Day!!  But I'll get back to that in a minute.  First, I have to say it's been a real hit and miss week for me in bookland. I read the first novella and full-length book in Jocelynn Drake's upcoming Asylum Tales series.  I liked those, but everything else I read just kind of fell flat. I guess it was because I was coming off the high from all of those fabulous June 26th releases.  Who knows?  Now I'm feeling a bit uninspired to pick up anything new.  Ever have one of those weeks?  Anyway... I know something that will cheer me up...

5. At long last, the wait for Magic Mike is over.


Believe it or not, I will not be going to see this tonight. One of my buds is working, so we can't go until tomorrow.  (*tears*) But Saturday night, we are hitting the theater, and I for one, am going with a blood alcohol content of at least .05.

And to show you my level of commitment to Joe, Matt and the boys, you should know that I am braving the displeasure of family members by missing an out-of-town birthday party on Saturday. Mr. Red Hot Books knows how much I've been looking forward to the movie and he has offered to take the kids for me! (That's love, people.)



4. Hot on the heels of her Once Burned release, Jeaniene Frost is already talking about the next Vlad book.  The second installment in the Night Prince series will be titled Twice Tempted.  It's scheduled for release March 19, 2013.  How am I going to wait that long?

3. Sherrilyn Kenyon has revealed the cover for her next League book. Check out the deets on Born of Fury:

Counted among the fiercest Andarion warriors ever born, Hauk is one of the five founding members of the Sentella- an organization that has declared war on the League that rules the Ichidian universe with an iron fist and terrifies it with an army of well-trained assassins. Hauk’s enemies are legion, but he fears nothing and no one. He will do whatever it takes to survive and protect his Sentella brethren.

Sumi Antaxas is one of the best assassins the League has ever trained. In her world, failure is not an option and she has never met a target she couldn’t execute. So when she’s assigned Hauk, she believes it’ll be a quick and easy mission.

But nothing is ever as simple as it seems, and Hauk is far better trained...
Born of Fury is out April 1. But if you don't want to wait until 2013 for your next dose of the Ichidan universe, remember Maris' story, Cloak & Silence, will be out December 15.

2. Everybody is talking about Sylvia Day's Bared to You these days. I've heard many people call it the better alternative to FSoG.  I haven't read it. Honestly, the 50 Shades comparison turned me off, but now I am wondering if that was a mistake.  (*sigh*)  Anyway, the cover for book two is out:


Reflected in You is out October 2.  The final book in the trilogy will be out in December.

1. Finally, with The Avengers and Magic Mike premieres moving into the rear-view, I'm wondering what I can look forward to next at the theater.  I'm leaning heavily toward the Total Recall redux.  I'm as sick of remakes as everyone else, but I have to admit, this looks pretty bad-ass.


After this, I will begin to fixate on Ryan Reynolds as Connor MacLeod in the Highlander reboot, FO' SHO!I am picturing him in the kilt already!!


Have a great week... remember AAD in NOLA is less than six weeks away!!! If any featured authors want a last-minute spotlight, just let me know and I'll be happy to host you here.

XOXO
Jen

Labels: , , , , , , ,

18 Comments:

At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 8:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger BookaholicCat said...

*cries* Magic Mike releases next week on this side of the world. *cries more*
6 weeks!!! woot!! I can't wait.

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 9:32:00 AM CDT , Blogger Brie said...

That's the ThunderCats' sword....

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 9:33:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

That is so unfair!! My sympathies to my international girls!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 9:34:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

LOL. I wouldn't have made the connection, but now that you say something... Thundercats...ho!!!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 10:54:00 AM CDT , Blogger Underworld Love Addiction said...

I'm going to see Magic Mike tonight but I'm going with work people so the theatre is like 45 minutes from my house. Which means I will have to go to the movie sober :(

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 10:59:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

(*whispers*) Bring a flask.

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:03:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amber I @ Awesomesauce said...

I have no kids and no hubby tomorrow and I have no one to go see this with me. Every one I know that lives by me in working. Its just so not fair. :( I haven't read Bared to You either just because of the 50 comparison. But maybe I should.

And I feel you on your book week. I get those every so often.

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:07:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I feel better knowing it's not just me. I assumed there were BDSM elements in it, which I don't like. But then I read somewhere that there isn't.

I don't usually read contemporary, but I'm starting to think I need to make an exception. It's gotten such good buzz from people I trust.

As for Magic Mike... I hate that for you. All women everywhere should be able to see this however and whenever they want. :(

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:12:00 AM CDT , Blogger Amanda Bonilla said...

I hope you give us a nice, in-depth Magic Mike recap! Have fun!!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:20:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Ha! If I do it would be something like: They took their clothes off. (**wipes drool**) They humped the floor. (**more drool**) Why does Matt Bomer have to like boys? (**cries** **then drools**)

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:42:00 AM CDT , Blogger Kat Black said...

You guys get Magic Mike today? We have to wait until July 11 over here in UK :( Looking forward to hearing everyone's reactions - the critics have so far been surprising kind given that they usually love trashing anything aimed at entertaining us laydeez. Hope you enjoy it!

Can empathise with your reading doldrums. We were discussing this very ailment at Trashionista the other day - http://www.trashionista.com/2012/06/readers-get-block-too---total-e-bounds-kat-black.html - might be some tips there to help you out.

And last but not least - HIGHLANDER!!!. Didn't know a remake was on the cards. You've gone and got me all excited for the weekend, Jen. Thanks!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:50:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Yes, today is the day here in the US. I've been surprised by the positive reviews as well.

As for the Highlander remake... I can easily picture Ryan in the kilt, but I am a little worried about the brogue. I'm not sure if he can pull it off, but I am happy to let him try.

I'm headed to check out your post now!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 12:01:00 PM CDT , Blogger Kat Black said...

Know what you mean. Perhaps if they keep Ryan shirtless throughout we won't notice :D

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 3:38:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, my! I offer many, many, many thanks for that *pant,pant,pant* Magic Mike video.

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 3:44:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

You are very welcome. I believe a good thing is meant to be shared!!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:34:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

Going to see Magic Mile on Sunday!!!
Highlander remake?!

 
At Friday, June 29, 2012 at 11:38:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

Damn auto correct on this phone. Magic MIKE not Mile. LOL

 
At Saturday, June 30, 2012 at 8:44:00 AM CDT , Blogger Tina B said...

I have to wait for tomorrow (Sunday) to go see The movie. :( Enjoy your outing tonight. You have a great hubby. ;)
I did not know that there was a new release coming of the Highlander!!! And Ryan Reynolds, yummy! :)
Thank you for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home