Thursday, May 31, 2012

Review: Conquered by a Highlander

Reviewed by Jen
 
There are two things that are important to Colin MacGregor: his clan and his job as an agent of the king.  Both play a role in his latest mission. He must infiltrate the home of a traitor and uncover his plans.  Geoffrey is part of conspiracy to help overthrow the pro-Catholic king to put a protestant sympathizer on the throne.  Colin needs to find out who is aligning with Geoffrey and what the king needs to do secure his interests.  After all, the MacGregors are Catholic and a protestant king would make them targets. Colin ingratiates himself with Geoffrey and his men under an alter-ego... one willing to fight for their cause.

As soon he arrives at Dartmouth, Colin meets Geoffrey's cousin Gillian.  She has been banished to her cousin's custody to raise her bastard son away from her noble family.  She puts up a brave face but she is miserable.  Geoffrey hates her son and he wants her in his bed.  Only her guard George keeps her and young Edmund safe --not only from Geoffrey, but all of his men who lust after her.

The relationship between Colin and Gillian develops very, very slowly.  He really falls for her son before he falls for her. And that is important because that little boy is her everything.  It was very sweet, but it took forever for these two to so much as kiss.  Too long.  In fact, I felt the urge to skim a little, though mostly it was because of all the political stuff wrapped up in the story.  I had a hard time keeping up with who all the players were and honestly, I didn't really care. I just wanted the damn romance to happen.

I did like the characters.  Colin is a strong and capable Highlander whose heart softens beautifully for Edmund.  Gillian is a strong woman, who does whatever is necessary to protect her child.  Like I said, likeable and sweet, though not very hot.  There's a little bit of lovin' toward the end, but not much. 

Geoffrey makes a good villain. And I like that he is smarter than he appears.  I also liked George, who had his own morality and loyalties.

I should point out that this is book four in Paula Quinn's Children of the Mist series.  But it works just fine as a standalone.

Rating: C+

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Click to purchase: Amazon
  Conquered by a Highlander
by Paula Quinn
Release Date: May 22, 2012
Publisher: Forever (GCP)

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:24:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I listned to the first book in the series, and it was just OK for me, I was hopping a better impact with entry, but it seems that that still missing the WOW factor, I'm sure I will eventually get to it.
Thanks, great work!!!

 
At Thursday, May 31, 2012 at 10:49:00 AM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I started with book 3. Neither one managed to light my fire.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home