Saturday, April 14, 2012

Review: Fractured Moon

Reviewed by Jen
 
As a werewolf who can't completely shift, Aurelia is an outcast among her kind.  Other than with her best friend and close-knit family, she doesn't really fit in anywhere.  She has made the best of the life she has, though.  She has a job she loves and nice guy renting the other half of her duplex.  But her quiet monotony is shattered with the arrival of the man destined to be her mate.

When Ceithin and Aura come face to face, the attraction is overwhelming. Unfortunately, he has a girlfriend, which throws a wrench in the whole star-crossed-lover thing.  But she --and all the other roadblocks-- slowly move out of the way, clearing a path for romance.  In the meantime, someone is stalking Aura.  And the danger keeps getting more intense as the love story does the same.

I liked the romance.  It nicely avoids many of the annoying tropes of the genre.  Our couple doesn't fall in love instantly, but over time.  The hero is alpha, but not an asshole.  The sex is hot, but believable and without any anatomical record-breakers.   Both the hero and heroine are likeable; and the secondary characters are well fleshed out.  The pacing is good and I liked the plot.

The book's not perfect.  It has a slow start and it seems to take forever for our hero and heroine to even meet.  There's a character named Greta, who I never understood who she was.  The villain reveal was interesting, but I was unclear on how he did what he did and how many others he did it to.  The resolution to the climax is left hanging --and I can only hope that will be addressed in a later book, along with some much needed depth to the explanation surrounding Aura's best friend and her lineage.  And there are about a dozen misspellings, tense problems, or random apostrophes.

I did like it, though.  It felt fresh. It was snarky and current.  I believed in the romance and enjoyed the sex.   I hope the story continues.  3 1/2 stars.

*Book provided by author for review

Click to purchase: Amazon
Fractured Moon
by EL Pierce
Release Date: March 3, 2012




Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 11:57:00 AM CDT , Blogger SmittenWithBadBoyHeroes said...

I absolutely LOVE that review!!! Short, sweet, to the point, i wish i could write like that. i'm way to 'flowery'. Well done luv!! I am going to add it to my list. Thanks!!

 
At Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 1:39:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Thank you so much! If you read it, come back and let me know what you think. :)

 
At Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 1:41:00 PM CDT , Blogger Amber Hughes said...

I love finding out about new werewolf books (my favorite), so this was great to see your review of this one. Adding to my TBR :-)

 
At Saturday, April 14, 2012 at 1:44:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

Glad to help, Amber. I hope you like it.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home