Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Review: Raven Cursed


Reviewed by Jen
 
I know there is more to the Jane Yellowrock series than just her love life. I really do. But going into this book, all I could think about was whether Jane was going to end up with Rick now that he's "big-cat" or if she'll kick his big honking cheating ass to the curb. Will Bruiser be there to stake his claim? Will those two finally cross the finish line? So in deference to these burning questions, I'll say right off the bat that after reading this book, I am wholly dissatisfied with this entire element of the plot. Rick's actions in the last book are explained away far too easily. Even more frustrating, is the fact that Jane is unwilling or unable to assess her feelings for the two men in question. There. Is. No. Resolution. Not even a clear destination. But before I start gritting my teeth too loudly, let me talk about the rest of the book.

As the story begins, Jane is back in her hometown of Ashville, SC, where she is tasked to handle security for some important vampire-talks. But just as things get started, bodies start popping up. The culprits are the last two surviving werewolves from Mercy Blade. They've followed Jane, it seems, to get revenge for her killing the rest of their pack. Rick is in the area, learning how to be a big cat from Ken-whatshisname... the African panther, whose wife was responsible for infecting Rick in the first place.

The first third of the book just didn't jump out and grab me. Maybe because we were removed from the New Orleans gang and it took me a while to care about what was happening in South Carolina. Maybe it was because I was distracted, waiting for something to happen in Jane's love life. Regardless, things began to improve once we get into the meat of Evie's storyline. Yes, the wicked witch is back. We finally find out what her deal is --and it's a whopper. Evie also spices things up because she brings Molly and her family into the mix. And who doesn't love Angie Baby?

There is also some good stuff happening between Jane and her Beast. A lot less attention is paid to the mechanics of the shifts, which is cool. Jane and Beast come to really appreciate the strength they have as one unit... but without getting into details, I was a bit confused by a problem between them at the end of the book.

The plot and the action were really good in the second half... and it reminded my why I like this series. Jane is tough as nails; she's fierce and loyal; and it's so sad to see how truly fragile her connections are to others. I'm really curious to see what will happen for her next. (And hopefully, we'll gain a little ground in the relationship department. Please.) Almost 4 stars.

*ARC provided by Ace

Click to purchase: Amazon
Raven Cursed
by Faith Hunter
Release Date: January 3, 2012
Publisher: Ace

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home