Monday, November 28, 2011

Review: Tempest Rising

I truly, thoroughly enjoyed this book. It was original and unique. It was sexy and funny. It was unpredictable and smart.

The story centers on Jane True, a 20-something misfit living in a small Maine tourist town. She works at a small bookstore, takes care of her sick father, and has an abiding love for the sea. Jane has been an outcast in the town her whole life. Her mother made big waves, first when she appeared out of nowhere, then disappeared in much the same way when Jane was a child. But things only got worse when Jane's high school sweetheart drowned. The community blamed Jane for his death and she suffered a breakdown she has only partially recovered from.

She finds solace in the water. But when she finds a body during a late night swim, her world is turned on its ear. The dead man isn't human and that discovery is quickly followed by the revelation that she isn't entirely human either. Quickly, Jane finds herself immersed in the supernatural world and thrown together with Ryu, the vampire investigating the murder of the man Jane discovered.

This book has a little bit of everything. It's got mystery and intrigue surrounding the murder. It's got a great journey of self-discovery as Jane learns who and what she really is. It has hot sex. It has action. And humor. As many good things as it has going for it, I have to say that Jane's internal dialogue has got to be at the top of the list. Her voice is just fantastic. I get her pop-culture references, her sarcasm... the arguments between logic and her libido.

This is definitely a hit for me. While the book had a clear ending, it obviously has more story to tell. And as much as I liked Ryu (and I really did!) I am all about Anyan. He and Jane simply must become more than friends down the road. I'm telling you... he's the one to watch. 4 1/2 stars.

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Tempest Rising
by Nicole Peeler
Release Date: November 1, 2009
Publisher: Orbit

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Monday, November 28, 2011 at 9:28:00 AM CST , Blogger BookaholicCat said...

I love Jane True Series. One of my favorite parts of this books are Jane's conversations with her llbido, they are hilarious.
I'm Team Anyan too!

 
At Monday, November 28, 2011 at 9:31:00 AM CST , Blogger Beth D. said...

I have heard great things about the series. Maybe it is time I check it out.

Beth ^_^
http://sweetbooksnstuff.blogspot.com/

 
At Monday, November 28, 2011 at 12:04:00 PM CST , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I received book 1 & 2 through R.A.K. and have them on my schedule to read this spring. Glad you enjoyed it.

 
At Monday, November 28, 2011 at 12:11:00 PM CST , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I glutted myself on the series and read all the books back-to-back. Loved them!

 
At Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 11:13:00 AM CST , Blogger Twimom227 said...

I have this book sitting on my shelf, but honestly didn't know what the plot of the story was. Sounds really good. Need to find time to read it now! Thanks!

 
At Tuesday, January 10, 2012 at 12:58:00 PM CST , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer said...

I feel the same as you about this series so far...of course I've only read this first book...but I really enjoyed it! I am going to try to come back and read your other reviews from this series as I read them on my end. :-D

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home