Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Review: Drink Deep

Reviewed by Jen
 
If you're a fan of the Chicagoland Vampires series and you haven't read this book yet, there's only one reason you are reading this review. You want to know if somehow... some way... Ethan comes back. Well, let me address this right off the bat. (*spoilers*) There is no way in hell I am going to answer that. Come on, guys, it's about the journey, not the destination!

Without spoiling anything, I can tell you that I did alot of crying. Again. It's been two month since the events of Hard Bitten, and Merit is grieving. But she is also Sentinal to the Cadogen House and it's a responsibility that she still holds dear. So slowly, she is trying to pull herself together enough to do her job. Jonah, the Captain of the Guards from Grey House, is there to help her. He's serving as makeshift partner, but there are hints he would like to be more.

Cadogen is in disarray. The big vampire council has sent someone to reorganize the House and it's clear the guy's not there to help, but to undermine everything Ethan has built. Still, Cadogen doesn't have much choice but to take it.

Merit is served up a distraction from her personal problems, when yet another supernatural problem begins brewing in the Windy City. It starts with the lake turning into a magic-sucking abyss and escalates from there. The vampires aren't to blame, but hostility is growing among humans toward the supes so Merit hopes to fix the problem before her people are blamed by the public.

I'm not going to tell you anything else, plotwise, although it's tempting. I am, however, going to try to address a couple of things in broad strokes. Very early on, I had a pretty strong feeling about who was causing the problems. But despite the fact that it felt a little predictable, I might have been ok with it, until the why of it was introduced. The why-part seemed wrong... a little contrived, even. And I hate to say that, because there were alot of things I really loved in this book.

We got the chance to learn more about the other supernatural races in the context of this world: from the nymphs and sirens to the Fae and, well, whatever the heck Tate is. I loved Luc and Lindsay. I loved Malik. And Jonah. But even in his abscense, Ethan's prescence is deeply felt... both by Merit and by me, as a reader. There a great deal of emotional resonance in this book and the big theme is loyalty: what it means to the different characters and whether they manage to hold on to it.

I'm going to give it a little more than 4 stars. I would have given it more, truly, if it weren't for the problems I had with the villain reveal. But definitely a must-read for any fan of the series.

*ARC Provided by NAL

Click to purchase: Amazon or The Book Depository
Drink Deep
by Chloe Neill
Release Date: November 1, 2011
Publisher: NAL

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 9:05:00 AM CDT , Blogger Mandi said...

I found this book very slow. And disappointing.

Interesting to read your thoughts though...I'm very curious to hear everyone's reactions! :)

 
At Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 1:54:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jennifer @ The Book Nympho said...

I can't wait to get my hands on this book. Great review and sneaky very sneaky with the hidden spoiler. LOL

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 7:16:00 PM CDT , Anonymous P.A. Lupton said...

I've been conflicted about reading this book. I swore I was done with the series after Ethan died, but now I find I have no willpower. I NEED TO KNOW!!! I rationalize this lack of will power because I figure Chloe Neill has brought me so many hours of enjoyment with this series that I figure I can hang with her and trust her to make this okay for me. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

 
At Thursday, October 20, 2011 at 8:35:00 PM CDT , Blogger Julie said...

This book makes me nervous...and your review is not helping. lol

 
At Thursday, August 9, 2012 at 9:52:00 PM CDT , Blogger Nina said...

I've being delaying reading this book because I just didn't have the guts to read it without its sequel being out. Now that it IS out, I don't think I'm mentally prepared to read it. But I will. Eventually. Great review!

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home