Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Review: Motor City Wolf

Reviewed by Jen
 
Fianna spent the first century of her life as a Fae, but thanks to a punishment from her queen, she is now forced to live as a human.  Her world has been turned upside down, but things aren't all bad.  She is now working for Greg, an alpha werewolf who makes her feel things she has never felt before.

Greg is crazy about Fee, but he is afraid to make a move.  He doesn't want to take advantage of her -- as an employee or as someone new to the emotions of humanity.  But circumstances conspire to have the two of them locked in together in the basement of Greg's club... on the night of the full moon.  They finally act on the attraction that has been building between them. And once the dam breaks, there is no going back.

In the meantime, someone is stalking and killing werewolves in the city.  Greg's bar has been targeted twice, and others have fared even worse than he has.  Add to that, the Alpha Prime, Greg's grandfather, is forcing him to mate... and there is a whole lot resting on his shoulders.  In a moment of desperation, Greg claims Fee as his mate, leaving her to wonder if their engagement is real or just a ruse to pacify the Prime. 

This is the third story in the Urban Arcana series.  There is obviously a lot of backstory and a lot of characters, explained in occasional spurts of information dumps.  I don't think I absorbed it all, but it was one of those cases where it mostly just made me want to read the earlier installments.  The main story was understandable and enjoyable without the benefit of the previous books. But I'll bet it was awesome for those already up to speed on the history. 

I really enjoyed the relationship between Greg and Fee.  It was very sexy! Add to that, plenty of great secondary characters and action mixed with pack intrigue and danger... and I was firmly engrossed in the story.  My only complaint was the reveal on who was try to kill Fee.  It felt abrupt and out of left field, with a character I barely knew in the context of this book.  The larger conspiracy ended up making more sense but I could tell that the identity of her would-be assassin was supposed to have more emotional resonance for me than it did.   Maybe it would have if I had read the earlier books.

There's a good set-up on a future story featuring Greg's cousin, Lana.  And I liked this one enough that I feel pretty sure I'll give that one a try too.  4 stars.

*ARC Provided by NetGalley

Motor City Wolf
by Cindy Spencer Pape
Release Date: August 29, 2011 
Publisher: Carina Press

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At Tuesday, August 30, 2011 at 11:24:00 PM CDT , Blogger JenM said...

Wow, I think we must have very similar tastes in books. I read Motor City Fae last summer, and I just finished Motor City Witch last week. Had my copy of Motor City Wolf pre-ordered, and I'm looking forward to reading it this weekend.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home