Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Review: Savor Me Slowly


Reviewed by Jen
 
Savor Me Slowly marks Gena Showalter's return to her grown-up Alien Huntress books. Our heroine is a familiar face, Mishka Le’Ace, who was featured in the YA Alien Huntress book, Red Handed. Her hero is Jaxon, an Alien Investigation and Removal agent. We’ve met Jaxon before but he failed to make much of an impression on me. Of course, we learn there is much more to Jaxon than met the eye in previous books. And Mishka, who was always just painted as a cold-hearted bitch, turns on to be a cyborg (sort-of) with a heart.

The book opens with Jaxon a prisoner, who is being tortured for information about a case he’s been working on. Essentially, a group of uber-hot aliens have come to Earth. They’re having sex with the women, and spreading a disease that turns the women into crazed cannibals. (I hope you’re ok with this premise, because it is a major plot point in the next several books.) Enter Mishka, who appears to be there to torture Jaxon. But instead, she rescues him. Of course, she’s trying to get the same information, but not because she is a bad guy. She is part machine and has a chip in her brain that forces her to the will of her owner. Her owner can torture her or worse if she doesn’t do what he wants.

Anyway, Mishka falls in love with Jaxon. But she fears that one day, she’ll be forced to turn against him. We learn there is more to Jaxon than his affable facade and the sparks that fly between them are awesome. In time, Mishka and Jaxon join forces to work on the alien case –and to fight her nefarious owner.

It’s Gena Showalter. Therefore, the smut works. The lady is a master and writing sex scenes. I like that this book ties together threads from the first two books Awaken Me Darkly and Enslave Me Sweetly. I was afraid that each story in the series would be utterly independent, since there seemed to be no characters that were shared in those stories. Welcome back, old favorites!

However, there were times in the book I felt like I had missed something. Like when we saw Devyn (from Enslave Me Sweetly) working with the AIR agents. I would have liked to see how that evolved. Instead, it was just a given –and I had to go back and make sure I hadn’t skipped a book or something. Also, I liked Mia in Awaken Me Darkly. I don’t remember her being such a bitch –and I only read her book a couple of days ago, so I think I would remember.

It’s a solid 4 1/2 stars. I felt for Mishka. I wanted her to get her HEA and she did. With lots of sex too.

Savor Me Slowly
by Gena Showalter
Release Date: December 26, 2007
Publisher: Pocket Star

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 8:34:00 PM CDT , Blogger Catherine said...

Mia came of as a bitch to me in her book, too, so that wasn't a big transition for me. lol. The Devyn thing did make me feel a little lost for a few minutes, though.

I enjoyed this one for the most part. Especially Mishka's willingness to do what she had to without acting like a martyr.

The books seem to be getting better and better. I can't wait for the next one! :)

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:17:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

I like this book but my favourite is Devyn's book - which I think is the next one.

Ohh I see you're reading Dark Taste of rapture, CANT WAIT for that one

 
At Tuesday, July 26, 2011 at 10:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I loved Devyn's book too... but I've got to tell you... Dark Taste of Rapture was outstanding!!! The review will be up Friday. :)

 
At Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 7:31:00 PM CDT , Blogger Alexis @ Reflections of a Bookaholic said...

This cover is scary!! It sounds fantastic but the cover gives me the creeps.

 
At Wednesday, July 27, 2011 at 9:22:00 PM CDT , Blogger Tyraa said...

Oh YAY I'm glad you really liked it, I can't wait to hear what you think.

P.s I'm just a tad jealous you got to read it a month early :( LOL

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home