Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Review: Dragon Bound

One million romance bloggers can't all be wrong. Honestly, I hardly ever read other people's reviews until after I finish a book. I'm always afraid it will color my opinions. But you would have had to be living under a rock to miss the huge response to this book when it came out. Reviewer after reviewer, gushed on how epic and awesome they thought it was. So by the time I finally got a copy of it in my hands, I was sure I was the last person on Earth who had not read it yet. And frankly, I was a little worried that it could not possibly live up to all the hype.

On the off-chance that there are actually other people left who haven't read this, let me give you a quick breakdown on the story.  Pia's ex-boyfriend is blackmailing her.  He knows some of the secrets about her half-Wyr heritage and is holding that over her head to force her to steal from Dragos... a billionaire businessman and bad-ass dragon shifter. Pia steals a small item and quickly goes on the run... knowing that Dragos will be quickly on her tail. What she has no way of knowing, is how the sight of him will make her go liquid inside.

Dragos is older than time, but has never felt about a woman the way he grows to feel for Pia. When he finds her, his rage at her crimes virtually disappears and transforms into an attraction he can't deny.  In short order, he decides to make her his own.  But his enemies have other plans. The Dark Fae king targets Dragos, and Pia gets wrapped up in it all.  The secrets she has worked to keep her whole life, are threatened; her identity is on the verge of exposure.  And while all this is happening, she and Dragos are being sucked deeper and deeper into a tangle of urges and emotions like none they've ever had.

OK.  First let me say, that this book is really hot.  Great sex.  Yum. 

Next, I want to acknowledge that this was much more than a romance.  Harrison sets up a great world in this book. There are so many ways she can develop future stories with the groundwork she lays here with the Elder Races.  (Though I have to acknowledge that I felt like a total idiot when, halfway through the book, I finally realized that the "Wyr" race were all shifters --or were-animals.  Duh, Jen.)

I really liked this book.  I think that if everyone hadn't told that I would LOVE it... I probably would have, well, loved it.  But expectations are a funny thing.  When you're waiting to be totally blown away, even great stories can be anticlimactic.  The bottom line is that I understand why there was so much hype.  It was sexy and smart with great characters and steamy sex.  And I'll be checking my mailbox daily, until Storm's Heart gets here. Almost 5 stars.

Dragon Bound
by Thea Harrison
Release Date: May 3, 2011
Publisher: Berkley

Labels: , , , , ,

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 10:28:00 AM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

I’m one of the weirdos who hasn’t read this yet…thanks to the RAK, someone just sent it to me, and I can’t wait to read it!

 
At Tuesday, July 12, 2011 at 9:23:00 PM CDT , Blogger Patti (@TheLoveJunkee) said...

I saw a few reviews and decided to give it a try - and loved it. I can't wait for Storm's Heart!

(I get what you mean about expectations though...and I agree.)

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 2:27:00 PM CDT , Blogger JJ said...

I cannot believe how much I loved this book. It. was. sooooooooo GOOD. I found myself rooting for Pia and Dragos separately and together every step of the way. And, the surprises were indeed just that. I can't stand to figure out a book less than halfway through. Now, I want: A)a dragon, although I still want a lion too (sigh, Curran) and B) a lunch like Pia and Tricks :)

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 2:29:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I might be able to arrange a drunken lunch! However, if I figure out a way to snag a dragon, I don't know if I could be a good enough friend to share him.

 
At Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 10:19:00 PM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I just bought this a few days ago. After I knock two books out, this one is up next. I am so with you on that, so many people have been talking about it. I was on Twitter one day and saw it being posted left and right. I heard if you like the BDB or Nalini Singh's Psy-Changeling series, this is going to be up there with them. So I definitely can't wait because those are faves of mine. It sounds incredible and anything J.R. Ward herself says is awesome, must be a win. Who better than a PNR queen? LOL! Great review hon, thank you. Great storyline, great characters and hot sex, what more can we possibly ask for? LOL! Thanks again hon :)

 
At Thursday, July 14, 2011 at 4:06:00 PM CDT , Anonymous Paperback Daydreamer (Deanna) said...

I read several reviews on books I haven't read. LOL. If I didn't I wouldn't hear about awesome books like this in order to know I should read them. :-P I'm glad you did end up liking this one. It's sitting on my shelf just waiting for me to read it! I'm so excited and I really can't wait to sink my teeth into it.

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home