Saturday, July 30, 2011

Review: Dark Guardian

Reviewed by Jen
 
The Carpathian men just keep getting older and more powerful.  Yes, I know I said that in my review of Dark Legend, but it's still true. To be fair, Lucian is actually Gabriel's twin, so they're actually the same age, but it's pretty clear that if push comes to shove, Lucian could kick his brother's ass into next week.

Lucian was finally ready to meet the dawn when Gabriel's lifemate told him that his fated female was out in the world, in need of him. Sure enough, he finds Jaxon has led a horrific life. As a child, her father's friend developed an unhealthy obsession with her. He killed her dad, then became her stepfather. A few years later, he murdered her mother and brother, no longer hiding his true nature. Ever since then, he has been killing off everyone Jax has ever loved... he never found anyone worthy of her. And as a result, she has never allowed herself to get close to anyone again.

As Lucian enters her life, Jax is a cop, wounded on the job. He saves her life and slowly brings her into his world. Despite the hallmark repetative vocabulary of the series, this book had a distinctly different flavor. This is due in large part to Jaxon's fortitude and growing need to protect Lucian. In almost all of these books, it's only about the male protecting his woman. And while that is still happening her, Jax needs to take care of Lucian every bit as much as he needs to take care of her. What's more, Lucian recognizes this in her and doesn't try to sublimate it.

Lucian is so powerful, there is never a sense that a vampire could ever best him. Yes, there are vamps, but the real villian of the story is a human one; and he is no bumbling, ineffective zealot. He is skilled; he is calculating; and he is every bit of a monster as the undead. One of the best in the series. 4 1/2 stars.

Velvet count: 38

Dark Guardian
by Christine Feehan
Release Date: May 2002 
Publisher: Leisure Books

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

At Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 9:48:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

Ha! You counted the velvets. That gave me a giggle. I have yet to read this series. I have the majority of them though. I have full intentions of reading them one day. I have read her Ghostwalker series, really enjoyed them.

 
At Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 10:35:00 AM CDT , Blogger Unknown said...

I am in love with this series! I know it has its faults but the Carpathian series is one of my favourites. Great review, and I LOVE the velvet count LMAO!

Suzanne

 
At Sunday, July 31, 2011 at 11:28:00 PM CDT , Blogger Jen at Red Hot Books said...

I can't help myself. The only way I can handle the excessive use of the word is to make a tally mark each time I see it.

It's like my little revenge for having to read it so many times.

 
At Monday, August 1, 2011 at 11:15:00 PM CDT , Blogger Book Savvy Babe said...

Great review! I picked this series up at like book 20 or something (Dark Slayer), I found it at the library, and I love the series. At some point I will have to read the earlier books, but when series are so big, sometimes it's tough.....either way, Lucian and Jax sound like great characters! Book Savvy Babe

 

Post a Comment

This is an award free zone. But your comments are welcomed and appreciated!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home